Best comic books turned movies?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

shaxper
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Best comic books turned movies?

Post by shaxper »

Choose 3 for each:

Most loyal to the original comics
The ones that kept the tone/feel/story of the original comics.

Most improved upon the original comics
The ones that caught the ball and ran, taking the characters/stories in new and better directions.

Best casting
The ones with actors who truly WERE the characters we'd been reading on the pages for years.

Best overall
Your favorites, or the ones you respect most.

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

Most Loyal

1. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

Much of the back story closely follows Batman: Year one

2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Departs from the comic in many ways, but closely follows the plots of issues 1, 9, and 10, as well as the Raphael mini-series.

3. X2.

Absolutely full of strung together plots and characters from throughout the X-Men run. Most noticably, Jean's new powers, death, and suggested reincarnation closely echo the X-Men's most legendary storyline.

Most Improved Upon The Original

1. Superman.

I know most comic fans won't give this old timer a chance these days, but it took two utterly flat alter-egos and made Clark Kent nerdy and charming, and made Superman's goody-goody patriotic disposition believable, likeable, and almost realistic. And, of course, let's not forget the the energy and bravado Margo Kitter gave to the otherwise stale Lois Lane.

2. The Hulk.

I hated what this film did to The Hulk, but I love what it did for Bruce Banner.

3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

While closely adhering to elements of the Batman mythos, it added more drama to Bruce Wayne's decision to become the Batman and gave the Joker a lot more flare, as well as an intriguing history.

Best Casting

1. Toby McGuire - Spiderman
2. Christopher Reeves - Superman
3. Hugh Jackman - Wolverine (X-Men) / Thomas Jane - Punisher

Best Overall

1. Spiderman.

A nearly flawless film that fully captured the sillyness and drama of the original comic.

2. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm.

A damn good feature that really understands what makes Batman tick.

3. X2.

A great story written for X-fans who would catch all the little references.

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

shaxper wrote: And, of course, let's not forget the the energy and bravado Margo Kitter gave to the otherwise stale Lois Lane.
Superman: "Don't worry. I've got you.'

Lois Lane: "You-you've got me? Who's got YOU?'

Best line EVER in a comic movie.

Jaknife
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Re: Best comic books turned movies?

Post by Jaknife »

shaxper wrote:Choose 3 for each:

Most loyal to the original comics
The ones that kept the tone/feel/story of the original comics.

Most improved upon the original comics
The ones that caught the ball and ran, taking the characters/stories in new and better directions.

Best casting
The ones with actors who truly WERE the characters we'd been reading on the pages for years.

Best overall
Your favorites, or the ones you respect most.
1. i say the first three batman movies

2. ????????????

3. xmen movies, or spiderman

4. x2, spiderman, batman, batman forever, tomb raider 8-)

Rai-fan
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Rai-fan »

In no particular order: Batman, Men In Black, X2, Road to Perdition.

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

Most Loyal

Spider-man

Most Improved

Men In Black

Best Casting

CONAN THE BARBARIAN!!!!

Best Overall

CONAN THE BARBARIAN!!!

Oh and the best quote for a comic movie is also from Conan...

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, and why we died. All that matters is that today, two stood against many. Valor pleases you, so grant me this one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, the HELL with you!"

Another favorite from this movie is the "What is best in life?" bit...of course the real answer is "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!", but me and my friends would always make up different ones...as in we would be sitting around and someone would say "What is best in life?" and someone would reply "Fuzzy bunnies, cotton candy, and Ferris Wheels." then everyone would yell "Wrong"..then we would all say the right line..It was totally awesome...

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

Another favorite from this movie is the "What is best in life?" bit...of course the real answer is "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!", but me and my friends would always make up different ones...as in we would be sitting around and someone would say "What is best in life?" and someone would reply "Fuzzy bunnies, cotton candy, and Ferris Wheels." then everyone would yell "Wrong"..then we would all say the right line..It was totally awesome...
ROFLMAO

:shock:

and the king of geeks shines yet again!

Dawg...you make my day one more time :D
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

myron wrote:
ROFLMAO

:shock:

and the king of geeks shines yet again!

Dawg...you make my day one more time :D
I glad that every finds humor in my supreme geekiness. I am still trying to figure out when I was name king of the geeks...It might have been during the great neo/obi-wan wars, but I am not sure...

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

Mystery Men with Ben Stiller, oh what you said Best comic books turned to movie. Nevermind scratch that entry.

-A
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

The Spider
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by The Spider »

architect wrote:Mystery Men with Ben Stiller, oh what you said Best comic books turned to movie. Nevermind scratch that entry.

-A
Well, technically, Mystery Men was based on the superhero group introduced in Bob Burden's FLAMING CARROT comic. The characters in the film WERE a lot different from their comic counterparts, though.... and I can't remember if Bob Burden did a Mystery Men comic book before the movie debuted.

And I loved that movie, too. MYSTERY MEN and IRON GIANT were my favorite films from 1999... But that's probably because I don't go out to movie theatres often.

screamingdc
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill

Post by screamingdc »

Most Loyal
1. Spawn- I guess it stayed with the original content.
2. X2- at least the Phoenix storyline... everything else is Singer's interpretation.
3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm- great pull on this direct to video animated film. It has the best portrayal of Bruce in any Batman movie.

Most Improved

1. Men In Black- say what you will, but Smith/Jones are awesome together.
2. Blade/Blade2- turned a second rate Marvel hero into a kick *SQUEE* action hero.
3. Batman Returns- Keaton was the best Batman, Devito ruled as the Penguin, and Pfiefer was hot as Catwoman. Halle Berry should have realized she can't touch that.

Best Casting

1. Hugh Jackman/Wolverine- how many people heard of him before X-Men?
2. Michael Keaton/Batman- only made greater by the crap that Clooney and Kilmer did afterwards.
3. Patrick Stewart/Professor X- i don't know how they could cast anyone else.

Best Overall

1. Superman 2- It stands the test of time. Still watchable today.
2. XMen 2- aren't sequels supposed to suck? improved on the first and sets the stage for the 3rd.
3. Batman- Tim Burton brought Gotham city alive. and you gotta love Jack Nicholason as the Joker.
4. Spiderman- had to add this. it was good, but i'm thinking the sequel will eclipse this one soon enough.
"Me gusta mi reggae, me gusta punk rock, pero la cosa que me gusta mas es panochita"

hillmanthe2nd

Post by hillmanthe2nd »

architect wrote:Mystery Men with Ben Stiller, oh what you said Best comic books turned to movie. Nevermind scratch that entry.

-A
One of my top 5 all-time favorites! Great cast.

justin
Banned for stealing from his friends

Post by justin »

Was Zoolander ever a comic?

-A
This user has been banned for using this website to steal from people who were his friends.

hillmanthe2nd

Post by hillmanthe2nd »

architect wrote:Was Zoolander ever a comic?

-A
I thought it was a character created by Ben Stiller.

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

architect wrote:Was Zoolander ever a comic?

-A
Nothing like a good ole fashioned Gas fight...That move is HIGH-larious.
"What is this a school for...ANTS!"
Or the walk-off?

One night at a party two of my friends had a "Walk-Off" It was very funny. The movie also brought back our love affair with the "Dance Fight"

Man..I guess that does sound kinda dorky, but it was oh so cool...

Ax

Post by Ax »

screamingdc wrote: 3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm- great pull on this direct to video animated film. It has the best portrayal of Bruce in any Batman movie.
Mask of the Phantasm wasn't a direct to video film. I remember seeing it in the theater. :roll:

shaxper

Post by shaxper »

I was wondering about that. I thought I remembered it being in the theatres, but it didn't seem to make much of an impact there or stay around too long. Even I brushed it off as cartoon tripe targeted at kids. How wrong was I!

dellamorte
Zombies and nightstand nightmares
Zombies and nightstand nightmares

Post by dellamorte »

1. X-2
2. Spiderman
3. The Crow
4. X-Men
5. Blade/Blade 2

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss