timewalker

A week-to-week plan is available for re-reading VALIANT from the beginning...
start anytime, go at your own pace.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger
timewalker

Post by myron »

I'm currently in the process of reading the timewalker series and have just finished the Harbinger wars...In my opinion this is one of the best story arcs since unity...I'm a sucker for timetravel stuff too...I thought the first 4 issues (of Timewalker) were kinda non-descript but the wars has changed my opinion of the series to this point...GOOD READ!
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

I agree with you on the harbinger wars storyline. I always thought that the Timewalker character had a lot of potential and the stories that could be written for Ivar are practically endless. Too bad it was such a short run.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

i was talking with mike about the harbinger wars issues the other day and he said the were some of his favs too. i don't get it. to me, it seemed like the had 10 issues worht of stuff ready to go-and at the last minute arbitrarily cut things all up and just went with whatever was left. i had a hard time following it-and was dissappointed in the lack of character development of any of the people you were introduced to.

i liked timewalker as a whole though. the issues by those guest writers that were famous for some other book did the best job of any timewalker book i thought.

DJSpecter
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by DJSpecter »

to me, it seemed like the had 10 issues worht of stuff ready to go-and at the last minute arbitrarily cut things all up and just went with whatever was left.
I don't think so. You can't make a story arc like that last ten issues in that title. Besides, Ivar is Ivar. He needs to jump around. And I think they were doing their best to pave the way for Visitor 8 and 13.

-Dave[/quote]

MiamiLoco
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?
If you gave Aric hugs and kisses, would it be XOXO X-O?

Post by MiamiLoco »

In what issues did the "Harbinger wars" take place?

Todd Luck
Doomed to forever roam the black halls

Post by Todd Luck »

MiamiLoco wrote:In what issues did the "Harbinger wars" take place?
Timewalker 6-8

Just my two cents: It was a neat plotline especially if you hadn't read Rai 0 but I just didn't find it overly inspired. The art work was fantastic accept for the parts adapting scenes from Rai 0 which looked bad (plus everybody's hair and clothing was completely different from Rai 0 which made no sense).

The real problem was that I really didn't feel it fleshed the Harbinger Wars out that much more than Rai 0 did. Plus there were various lapses in logic like the scene when Ivar thought he had changed time for the worse just because he came out of a time portal on a city block that was trashed (not to mention Sting's bizarre temporal hitchhiking which practically screamed to me that he was the Visitor before the book even came out). Like I said it was neat but I like looking through the visuals of those issues more than reading the story.

myron
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

it was erratic...but timejumping should be...and it was still better than most of the other valiant stuff coming out at the time (the trash known as magnus, x-o and solar come to mind... :P )
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

myron wrote:it was still better than most of the other valiant stuff coming out at the time (the trash known as magnus, x-o and solar come to mind... :P )
Oh yeah. Don't recall the rest of the industry doing a whole better at the time either.

Todd Luck

Post by Todd Luck »

Knightt_333 wrote:Dude, your in Fayetteville ? Fort Bragg is my old stompin' grounds !!!

Where do you get your books ? Is The Dragon's Lair (bernie) still there ?

Used to be another shop over by the Cross Creek Mall... ran by a guy named Clint.
Well, I'm not technically in Fayetteville, but it is the closest recogizable beacon of civilization to me :)

I get my comics from Dragon's Lair which is a great shop. They recently had George Perez by to do a signing but I missed it :(

To my knowledge there are two other shops in the area. One is a card/coin/comic shop with a post office in it's front section, which is right down the road from Dragon's Lair (on Yadkin Rd, right next to an entrance to the base). The other is in Spring Lake and is a card/comic/toy/video rental shop. All the shops seem to be doing well despite the mass deployment of the last year or so.

I went with Dragon's Lair for my subscription because they were the only shop that was smoke free and got in a good variety of new comics every week. Plus there was no sign up fee. The guys there are cool, but I'm too busy and too poor to go there that often.

tarheelmarine
Ask me about the Mellow Mushroom
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

I just read Timewalker 10 and 11.

This was a two parter story that was pretty good. Ivar was helping a young girl survive a city being destroyed by the Persians.

I've always enjoyed the fact that Ivar will do things in one era that will make him do something/influence his actions in another era.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

Must read Timewalker... must get more VALIANTS :thumb:

magnusr
I would hang a left...
I would hang a left...

Post by magnusr »

tarheelmarine wrote:I just read Timewalker 10 and 11.

This was a two parter story that was pretty good. Ivar was helping a young girl survive a city being destroyed by the Persians.

I've always enjoyed the fact that Ivar will do things in one era that will make him do something/influence his actions in another era.
Agree, one of several good Timewalker stories. Love the worshipper who asks for gum. I wonder what Ivar means by "first Malev war". When did he learn about several Malev wars?

/Magnus

tarheelmarine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite title: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Jim Calafiore

Post by tarheelmarine »

magnusr wrote:
tarheelmarine wrote:I just read Timewalker 10 and 11.

Agree, one of several good Timewalker stories. Love the worshipper who asks for gum. I wonder what Ivar means by "first Malev war". When did he learn about several Malev wars?

/Magnus
Yea, "spearmint" LOL.

I concur on the Malev wars, and I really liked how he used the bomb from the Malev Wars to plan his escape with the girl.