Top Ten Relaunch wishes

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

xodacia81
Here I am, happy as a clam
Top Ten Relaunch wishes

Post by xodacia81 »

Ok, gang. A discussion I had made me think of this. What to your mind are the top ten characters/concepts you see as a must for VEI to launch with? Not right out of the gate, mind you, but ten things you want to see, or characters/concepts, within the first 6-12 months?

hulk181man
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Huh, huh....dude, you said member.
Valiant fan since: Unity
Favorite writer: Warren Ellis

Post by hulk181man »

1) High Quality story telling
2) Quality artwork
3) All the great classic characters returning
4) The best Acclaim concepts incorporated into the mix - Quantum and Woody!

Ok...that's only 4....

IanAlexavier
Valiant. Back to basics.
Valiant. Back to basics.
Location: SE Michigan, 21 bound books done.. many more to go...

Post by IanAlexavier »

hulk181man wrote:1) High Quality story telling
2) Quality artwork
5) I always liked the tight continuity!
6)A small number of Titles... start with 3-4, never get over 10??
7) Books for young adolescents and more aged people to enjoy?

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

hulk181man wrote:1) High Quality story telling
2) Quality artwork

Ok...that's only 4....
LIMITED premiums, multiple copy variants, rare collectibles (no more signed limited Hartford Comic-con exclusive newsstand version).

On-time publication

Continuity

Crossover with Dark Key?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

Good ideas so far. Any SPECIFIC characters or CONCEPTS that you that want to see?

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

kevinbastos wrote:LIMITED premiums, multiple copy variants, rare collectibles (no more signed limited Hartford Comic-con exclusive newsstand version).
How about this... NO variants.

Seriously. :thumb:

What do variants do? They make the majority of a print run undesirable.
Who wants the regular version when there's a Gold?

Instead of making Valiant comics where the majority of the print run is undesirable... have NO variants.
EVERY copy of important books becomes important.
Last edited by greg on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:23:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

greg wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:LIMITED premiums, multiple copy variants, rare collectibles (no more signed limited Hartford Comic-con exclusive newsstand version).

Even better.

If you need variants, exclusive multiple cover polybagged with five different insert versions...

You're not doing it right.

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

One thing that comes to mind is to see the return of Japan's Dragon City and Tohru as Rai. I just loved that whole concept and I think it was a huge mistake when they got rid of both.

greg

Post by greg »

Daniel Jackson wrote:One thing that comes to mind is to see the return of Japan's Dragon City and Tohru as Rai. I just loved that whole concept and I think it was a huge mistake when they got rid of both.
:takeit:

Heath
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
The Saints will win the Super-Bowl!
Favorite character: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O
Favorite title: VH1 Shadowman; VEI X-O, Harb
Favorite writer: Bob Hall; Dysart, Van Lente
Location: Torque's Hundred-Yard-Long New Orleans Saints' Themed Dining Hall

Post by Heath »

1) Bob Hall version of Shadowman
2) Quantum & Woody (but as a comic book/cartoon that exists within the Valiant universe so that book has its own set of rules and continuity - that's the only way it will work)
3) Eternal Warrior/Geomancers/Armstrong dynamic - Geomancers as the voice of the Earth. Eternal Warrior as the fist of the Earth. Armstrong as the heart/conscience of the Earth.
4) No typical "super hero" costumes with capes and symbols. Or limit them to characters like Zephyr.
5) No crazy "mutant" looking characters. Everybody should have a pretty normal physical appearance. Think original Harbingers as opposed to X-Men. Exceptions being characters like Bloodshot and Rai.
6) Don't follow conventional super-hero comic book themes. Do something more original than having a super team with a charismatic and handsome leader, a huge muscular strong man, a mysterious but deadly woman with a sword, and an aggressive loner "bad *SQUEE*" guy that plays by his own rules. That kind of stuff has been done too many times. Be original.
7) No variants.
8) Did I say no variants? I meant only have variants as free prizes to fans just like the original Valiant.
9) Keep prices reasonable and don't put out a ton of books.
10) Bob Hall's version of Shadowman.

Basically, if they stick to the core concepts of the original Valiant, even if they reboot continuity and tell all new stories but fitting in with those original concepts and philosophies, then I think they'll be a success.

kevinbastos

Post by kevinbastos »

Daniel Jackson wrote:One thing that comes to mind is to see the return of Japan's Dragon City and Tohru as Rai. I just loved that whole concept and I think it was a huge mistake when they got rid of both.
Rai was my fave, too. Liked him a bunch. Killing him brought the universe to focus in a lot of ways - both as a universe, and a comic company. Nothing was sacred anymore.

That said, I'd like to see him, again.

Dr. Solar
Spanked like a 4 year old in K-Mart.
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

greg wrote:

How 'bout just a couple variants.

You know, for like, me.

BruceReville
Why don't we just call ourselves C-Men and be done with it

Post by BruceReville »

1) A Nod To The Old School
2) Lost Land Exists
2) The Destroyer
4) Mothergod Erica Pierce
5) Shadowman Michael LeRoi
6) Troublemakers
7) Bloodshot Amalgamation Of The Two
8) Expand The Role Of The Geomancer
9) Joshua Fireseed Spirit Warrior
10) Sting Peter Stanchek Made As The Utlimate Hero Since There Is No Solar In This Universe.

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

kevinbastos wrote:On-time publication
Given problems in recent years across Marvel, DC, and Dark Horse, this one is HUGE for me and makes a big difference in my purchasing decisions. I stopped buying new comics last June 2010 largely for this reason.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

Dr. Solar, you got a gold book before for promoting Valiant, surely you can do it again. Maybe start up a podcast or something to show how much you enjoy the new comics.

marvel1
Valiant? I was there!
Valiant? I was there!

Post by marvel1 »

greg wrote:

Instead of making Valiant comics where the majority of the print run is undesirable... have NO variants.
Though i agree with you %1000,variants are a neccesary evil in the market,through second/third printings and variants most companies are seeing an increase in sales.
They need to do variants but for books that warrant them.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

geocarr wrote:
Given problems in recent years across Marvel, DC, and Dark Horse, this one is HUGE for me and makes a big difference in my purchasing decisions. I stopped buying new comics last June 2010 largely for this reason.
This would be the #1 killer of the new Valiant Line. It was probably the biggest killer to the Dark Key line - really has anyone spoken of them recently on these boards since the "Hiatus" was announced?

Even the Atlas relaunch is running behind. June was suppose to be issue 4 of each title and their big crossover is suppose to be issue 6 of the titles in August. Issue 2 of the titles just hit the LCS shelves 2 weeks ago? It took 5 months between Grim Ghost & Pheonix #0 and issue#1.

Both were building steam and now they seem to be cooling off just as fast.

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BruceReville wrote:
geocarr wrote:
This would be the #1 killer of the new Valiant Line. It was probably the biggest killer to the Dark Key line - really has anyone spoken of them recently on these boards since the "Hiatus" was announced?

Even the Atlas relaunch is running behind. June was suppose to be issue 4 of each title and their big crossover is suppose to be issue 6 of the titles in August. Issue 2 of the titles just hit the LCS shelves 2 weeks ago? It took 5 months between Grim Ghost & Pheonix #0 and issue#1.

Agreed. I can deal with off schedules if one of three things happen:

# 1. The schedule is changing and you know ahead of time that the book will be delayed 2-6 weeks to accomodate it.

# 2. The issue is 3 or 4 times large than normal and is only delayed by 2 weeks or so. Case in point, Fables # 100.

# 3. Something happened to the creative team, ie, death in the family/serious illness. See Chew, once or twice in the last year.

Especially on creator owned books, I am forgiving under these circumstances. Still, there's no excuse to constantly have books delayed by a month every single issue. A book should have a set schedule. Missing a week once a year because of printing errors or something, that might be fine. MAYBE. Otherwise, there better be a damn good explination.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

greg wrote:

Great idea-How many Unity Reds do you have Greg? :P

greg

Post by greg »

wrunow wrote:
greg wrote:

The real question is... how important would Unity #0 Blue be if it was the ONLY version?
We treat 250,000 copies of Unity #0 as worthless BECAUSE there are 5,000 of another version.

Every copy of Unity #0 should be important... but we ignore 98% of the print run.

BruceReville

Post by BruceReville »

xodacia81 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
geocarr wrote:

# 1. The schedule is changing and you know ahead of time that the book will be delayed 2-6 weeks to accomodate it.

# 2. The issue is 3 or 4 times large than normal and is only delayed by 2 weeks or so. Case in point, Fables # 100.

# 3. Something happened to the creative team, ie, death in the family/serious illness. See Chew, once or twice in the last year.

Especially on creator owned books, I am forgiving under these circumstances. Still, there's no excuse to constantly have books delayed by a month every single issue. A book should have a set schedule. Missing a week once a year because of printing errors or something, that might be fine. MAYBE. Otherwise, there better be a damn good explination.
IMO It wouldn't hurt to have at least the first three months already in print or 100% ready to be sent to the printers before solicitations. They are planning a 2012 relaunch and they have finacial backing so why not?

xodacia81

Post by xodacia81 »

BruceReville wrote:
xodacia81 wrote:
BruceReville wrote:
geocarr wrote:

IMO It wouldn't hurt to have at least the first three months already in print or 100% ready to be sent to the printers before solicitations. They are planning a 2012 relaunch and they have finacial backing so why not?
I'm with you there. I think books should be readied 4-6 months ahead of time. There should be 4-6 months of scripts ready and the artwork should be finished 3-6 months ahead of schedule. Especially when launching a title.

Dr. Solar
Favorite character: Sven
Favorite title: Psi-Lords #2

Post by Dr. Solar »

dbngaa wrote:Dr. Solar, you got a gold book before for promoting Valiant, surely you can do it again. Maybe start up a podcast or something to show how much you enjoy the new comics.
I should *totally* do this.

wrunow
Where are you now?
Where are you now?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: They killed her off!
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Nord

Post by wrunow »

greg wrote:
wrunow wrote:
greg wrote:

The real question is... how important would Unity #0 Blue be if it was the ONLY version?
We treat 250,000 copies of Unity #0 as worthless BECAUSE there are 5,000 of another version.

Every copy of Unity #0 should be important... but we ignore 98% of the print run.
I don't think so Greg, it's a good book and everyone has a blue one and they're readily available, I don't think that diminishes the value of the story or art. It's just supply and demand and it makes sense to keep the hard core collectors happy. I personally think any premium copies should be even more premium than something like the gold books were. I think they should make it a limited high end collectable for high end collectors.

greg

Post by greg »

wrunow wrote:
greg wrote:
wrunow wrote:
greg wrote:

I don't think so Greg, it's a good book and everyone has a blue one and they're readily available, I don't think that diminishes the value of the story or art. It's just supply and demand and it makes sense to keep the hard core collectors happy. I personally think any premium copies should be even more premium than something like the gold books were. I think they should make it a limited high end collectable for high end collectors.
The problem with the high end collectible is that it kills the normal.

Imagine a super-limited Harbinger #1 from 1992.
What would happen to the regular Harbinger #1? It would be a tenth of the value.
95% of the print run for one of Valiant's most popular comics would be "less than the best".

Why is a book like Bone #1 or Walking Dead #1 so popular 10 or 20 years later?
Because there aren't any "limited variants" for either book.

Meanwhile, one of the most important books from the past 25 years is probably Spider-man #1 (1990).
Which edition matters? Platinum. Gold with UPC.
What do collectors think about 99% of the other copies in existence? Crap.

Comic publishers shouldn't make crap comics on purpose...
but in the long run, limited editions ALWAYS make crap out of the regular editions.