Discuss omnibuses

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

StarBrand
loosely based on a true story
Discuss omnibuses

Post by StarBrand »

I've never been an omnibus guy. I'm way old school. That said, I do have a few archives editions, and I dig getting to read the stories therein.
In any event, I was looking over a recent order form, and noticed a Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus I'm interested in. A few other writers contributed stories as well. The thing's over a hundred bucks, and I believe over a thousand pages long. I feel I really missed it reading those stores, and hope to secure that book at some point.
So, you guys buy omnibuses?
Valiant is the son of the New Universe.

nycjadie
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Especially "dude." And "balls." Those terms work in the tech industry.
Valiant fan since: Solar #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Bloodshot
Favorite writer: Kindt
Favorite artist: Too many to choose.
Re: Discuss omnibuses

Post by nycjadie »

I'm an issues guy. My mid-life crisis is sitting in my basement reading comics. Good times.

Those massive tomes look great on the shelf, but I like short boxes hidden in a separate room.

Cyberstrike
Consider it mine!
Consider it mine!
Valiant fan since: Unity 1992
Favorite character: Solar, Man of the Atom
Favorite title: Unity
Favorite writer: Jim Starlin
Favorite artist: Jim Starlin

Post by Cyberstrike »

Depends if it is a series/storyline that I want to read and finding all the back issues costs too much and/or said issues are too hard to find and if I have the money then yes, I'll buy an omnibus, in fact I have bought the omnibuses of The Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday, Grendel vols 1 and 2, and The Fallen Angel vols 0-2. The Marvel and DC omnibus are expensive and very heavy. The Dark Horse and IDW omnibuses are smaller and lighter, they're about the size of a prose novel, and cheaper they usually sell between $25-$40 depending on page count and are paperbacks and not hardcovers like the ones from DC and Marvel.
Know this: I would rather be hated for being honest for my opinions, than being loved as a liar!

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

nycjadie wrote:I'm an issues guy. My mid-life crisis is sitting in my basement reading comics. Good times.

Those massive tomes look great on the shelf, but I like short boxes hidden in a separate room.
+1 This is me definitely.
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

I've always been an issues guy, but I'm getting to the point where I just want to read some of the stories that I missed.

MarkRoseHFX
smother you to death with a big pile of poutine
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Chiclo
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart,V-ditti,Kindt,Lemire
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

I like those little Dark Horse omnibuses, like the Nexus and Grendel ones.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://about.me/markrosehfx

PSN- gorakthebunny

Dynamite can suck my balls

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

Cyberstrike wrote:Depends if it is a series/storyline that I want to read and finding all the back issues costs too much and/or said issues are too hard to find and if I have the money then yes, I'll buy an omnibus, in fact I have bought the omnibuses of The Astonishing X-Men by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday, Grendel vols 1 and 2, and The Fallen Angel vols 0-2. The Marvel and DC omnibus are expensive and very heavy. The Dark Horse and IDW omnibuses are smaller and lighter, they're about the size of a prose novel, and cheaper they usually sell between $25-$40 depending on page count and are paperbacks and not hardcovers like the ones from DC and Marvel.
I have 4 out of the 6 you mention. I only have Fallen Angel Omnibus 0 and 2. I have the trades that make up the first Omnibus. I have all three Grendel Omnibi. I have the first Nexus Omnibus and a few scattered other ones. I have picked up random ones on Amazon for less than $5 shipped several times.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

StarBrand wrote:I've never been an omnibus guy. I'm way old school. That said, I do have a few archives editions, and I dig getting to read the stories therein.
In any event, I was looking over a recent order form, and noticed a Roger Stern Spider-Man omnibus I'm interested in. A few other writers contributed stories as well. The thing's over a hundred bucks, and I believe over a thousand pages long. I feel I really missed it reading those stores, and hope to secure that book at some point.

I most certainly do. Even with basic 5-8 issue hardcover collections, I get an off-base feeling of importance when reading a hardcover collection. An omnibus is so much more. Better quality paper, a huge collection in one volume, etc....It's like a tome of riches at my perusal.

These are the omnibus collections I have:

Captain Britain Omnibus (original costume variant)
Daredevil by Ed Brubaker Omnibus volume 2
New X-Men Omnibus
Starman Omnibus 1, 2
Thor Omnibus by J Michael Straczynski

I got the Captain Britain, Daredevil, and Thor omnibus books from mycomicshop.com ....I traded in a bunch of old comics I didn't care to have anymore and ended up getting each omnibus either free or dirt cheap as a result. Some of the comics I traded in were sought after comics, but most were stuff which ranged in value from $1-$4 (Just an accumulation of a lot of books). I live in Dallas, which is local to that website, so there were no shipping fees as I would simply drop the books off at one of their store locations. As such, it was ideal.

I already had the single issues of the "Lady Bullseye" & "Return of the King" arcs of Daredevil in that Brubaker omnibus, but I liked those arcs so much I decided to get the omnibus (Also to check out some of the issues which preceded those two arcs). What sucked was I didn't like any of the chapters/issues before the "Lady Bullseye" arc started.

That's the drawback of getting an omnibus. Similar to tpb/HC collections, you might not like every chapter/issue in the collection. I have a strong compulsion to tear out the pages from the last two story-arcs in the New X-Men Omnibus, for instance, but I'm obviously not going to do that.

I also have Absolute New Frontier, which is different than an omnibus. At first I felt mildly disoriented reading it, due to the different size of paper (Somewhat elongated, top to bottom, almost like a variation of widescreen). After getting used to that, I quite enjoyed it.

Best way to buy an omnibus is to go to a site like instocktrades.com, since they have huge discounts (And free shipping for purchases over $50). The thing with omnibus collections is a lot of them go out of print fast, and when that happens you'd have to pay a lot more than you otherwise would have. I guess the bright side of that is there's a strong possibility your books will rise in value, but I have no plans to sell any of mine.

String
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago

Post by String »

StarBrand wrote:I've never been an omnibus guy. I'm way old school. That said, I do have a few archives editions, and I dig getting to read the stories therein.
I've seen that solicited as well and was also considering buying it. Marvel has already published some of Stern's Spidey run in TPB, notably I was looking at getting the volume that contained all the early appearances of Hobgoblin. But if they are releasing this omnibus, I figure it would be better to get the majority of his run in one volume rather than 3-4 trades.

I recently purchased my first ever Marvel omnibus, The Invincible Iron Man by Michelinie, Romita, and Layton. Covers their original run from #115-157. It's hefty tome, no doubt, but with quality reproduction of the art and solid binding, I've been very pleased with this volume. So I'm more inclined now to considering buying more.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

I love me some omnibuses (omniboo). Been selling off singles and buying hardcovers whenever available for about the past year. I really like the oversized art and extras, plus the all-in-one nature of most of them. I'll definitely be picking up the Stern Spidey omnibus - that was the stretch I was reading Spider-man pretty regularly (borrowing them from a friend who was a big Spider-man fan, but never owned them). Also, the Hickman FF and the Planetary omnibuses are upcoming must haves.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

StarBrand

Post by StarBrand »

Okay, this really blows my mind. My head is starting to swim looking at these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.ht ... kw=omnibus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

dbngaa wrote:I love me some omnibuses (omniboo).
I think omniboo is the most awesome plural of omnibus ever. I'm gonna start using that.
Hell Yeah Valiant Comics! Tumblr - http://bit.ly/16xoK8x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PSN- gorakthebunny

String

Post by String »

StarBrand wrote:Okay, this really blows my mind. My head is starting to swim looking at these.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Comics-/63/i.ht ... kw=omnibus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are currently living in a Golden Age of Reprints. :thumb:

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

So nobody has the Cerebus phone books or the Bone omnibus? (It's only 1 so I can't say omniboo -except I just did)

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

dave wrote:So nobody has the Cerebus phone books or the Bone omnibus? (It's only 1 so I can't say omniboo -except I just did)
I used to own the first Cerebus phone book. But I HATE those things. I wish they'd come out in another format.

i've got Bone in trades but I think may eventually pick up that omnibus and get rid of them.

omniboo...just wanted to type that bc it's my new favorite word

PSN- gorakthebunny

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

dave wrote:So nobody has the Cerebus phone books or the Bone omnibus? (It's only 1 so I can't say omniboo -except I just did)
I have 4 and 5 - Church and State II and Jaka's Story. I have Cerebus 1 to 25 in trades too. One day, I want to put together a set of Cerebus phone books but I want to do it on the cheap.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by dbngaa »

The Bone OmniBOO! (because it's October) is on my To Get list - read it all in trades years ago. I used to have the Cerebus phonebooks up throughh Melmouth, but rereading them a couple of years ago was such a slog that I sold them. Absolutely great moments, but the series as a whole just didn't draw me in.

MarkRoseFX - glad I could expand your vocabulary in such a joyful manner. Enjoy! (but be careful which forums you use that term in, some people are very ticky about omnibus vs omniboo)
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

dbngaa wrote: MarkRoseFX - glad I could expand your vocabulary in such a joyful manner. Enjoy! (but be careful which forums you use that term in, some people are very ticky about omnibus vs omniboo)
This is the only forum that has to deal with my lunacy on a regular basis so it should be all good :thumb:

PSN- gorakthebunny

String

Post by String »

I have the first 8, 9 phone books of Cerebus. Really need to finish out the series.

I bought my son the Bone Omnibus (which he loved). Given it's size though, it's somewhat unwieldy. Really too large actually. Was considering buying the colored TPBs as well.

MarkRoseHFX

Post by MarkRoseHFX »

String wrote:
I have the first 8, 9 phone books of Cerebus. Really need to finish out the series.

I bought my son the Bone Omnibus (which he loved). Given it's size though, it's somewhat unwieldy. Really too large actually. Was considering buying the colored TPBs as well.
I have those colored TPB's and I LOVE them.

PSN- gorakthebunny

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

I have number of the omnibi
Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 signed by Stan ( all the Ditko issues)
Thor by Walt Simonson because Beta Ray Bill is *SQUEE* awesome
N=W X M=N

Dc wise
I have the entire Starman run

I love the heft of the marvel books but they are kinda heavy for reading, the Dc books arent as big content wise but are easier to read.

Neil

TheVisitor

Post by TheVisitor »

I'll buy an Omnibus if the material is not available in another HC format. Tomb of Dracula, Man-Thing, Amazing Fantasy/Amazing Adventures...

-Phil