shouldb I switch to just Trades?

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ValiantReader
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1
Favorite character: Torque
Favorite title: Harbinger
shouldb I switch to just Trades?

Post by ValiantReader »

So I been thinking of saving som3 money and space in my house by cutting out monthly comics and only getting trades. I would only keep getting Valiant titles monthly. This would save me alot of money in the long run. I grown so used to having so many different stories every week tho. If anyone has made this switch and would like to share how they dealt with it that be cool. It really is a addiction and its hard to walk away from so many good books.

dbngaa
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Re: shouldb I switch to just Trades?

Post by dbngaa »

A year or so ago I was getting about 30-35 single issues a month - expensive but fun. I can't remember the exact titles, but there were several that I just wasn't compelled to read every month so I dropped them and strated eyeing the trades. This gradually crept across a majority of the books until I just made the switch altogether. Another thing that helped persuade me was the amount I could sell some of the single issues for: Saga, Mind Mgmt, New 52 books...when you can sell single issues for $20 a piece, and the trades are less than $10, it just made economic sense.

As far as following the stories in this manner, I find I like getting an entire arc in one read. I usually had to go back and read the previous month's issue to remember what had happened, or I'd wait and read the whole thing at once when it was done, so my reading habits didn't change a whole lot.
This post has been carefully constructed so as to add absolutely nothing to any discussion or topic.

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

dbngaa wrote:A year or so ago I was getting about 30-35 single issues a month - expensive but fun. I can't remember the exact titles, but there were several that I just wasn't compelled to read every month so I dropped them and strated eyeing the trades. This gradually crept across a majority of the books until I just made the switch altogether. Another thing that helped persuade me was the amount I could sell some of the single issues for: Saga, Mind Mgmt, New 52 books...when you can sell single issues for $20 a piece, and the trades are less than $10, it just made economic sense.

As far as following the stories in this manner, I find I like getting an entire arc in one read. I usually had to go back and read the previous month's issue to remember what had happened, or I'd wait and read the whole thing at once when it was done, so my reading habits didn't change a whole lot.
I think ill survive the transition because I dont know anyone else that reads comics besides the people at my LCS and here on the boards. I only started getting into comics because of the Valiant relaunch. Soon after that I was getting like 20 books a month and now im like 30 books a month. I been trying to figure out which ones to cut for a month now.
Which brings me to now. Im just going to cut them all. Except Valiant that is. It will give me 1 or 2 books a week to read.

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

dbngaa wrote:A year or so ago I was getting about 30-35 single issues a month - expensive but fun. I can't remember the exact titles, but there were several that I just wasn't compelled to read every month so I dropped them and strated eyeing the trades. This gradually crept across a majority of the books until I just made the switch altogether. Another thing that helped persuade me was the amount I could sell some of the single issues for: Saga, Mind Mgmt, New 52 books...when you can sell single issues for $20 a piece, and the trades are less than $10, it just made economic sense.

I think ill survive the transition because I dont know anyone else that reads comics besides the people at my LCS and here on the boards. I only started getting into comics because of the Valiant relaunch. Soon after that I was getting like 20 books a month and now im like 30 books a month. I been trying to figure out which ones to cut for a month now.
Which brings me to now. Im just going to cut them all. Except Valiant that is. It will give me 1 or 2 books a week to read.

Savant
Get those scissors away from my coupons

Post by Savant »

Valiant seems pretty quick with their trades, so it wouldn't be too bad. I think Marvel takes longer than Valiant, but they're not too long a wait.

DC takes forever to put their comics into trade format. Seems like it's a tactic to keep people buying singles.

You'll save money for sure. It's primarily dependent on whether you're patient enough to wait for the tpbs. You'll likely try to avoid spoiler threads and such for several months.

dave
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Turok #12 is the 1st appearance of Turok
Valiant fan since: Bloodshot #1
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite writer: BWS

Post by dave »

Personally I find the trades far more satisfying; financially, ecumenically and aesthetically.

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

dave wrote:Personally I find the trades far more satisfying; financially, ecumenically and aesthetically.
Yea I totally agree. I really like how the trades look on my shelf. My comics just sit in a *SQUEE* looking box and do nothing. And when i want to reread something i have to open every individual comic. With a trade i can read 5 or 6 books without the hassle. I don't know if ill go to only getting trades for Valiant but most of the rest I think i will.
I have a few books I am reading now that are going to end soon like Infinity and Trillium so ill ride those till the end. Saga and East of west I just started. Wow what good books! I have then in trade and just bought the recent released comic. I think ill just wait for the trades for those tho. They were way better reads in trade anyway. One issue just don't do those stories justice. Also Superior Spiderman is getting awesome with the 2099 spiderman story arc. I am not dropping that.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!
Valiant fan since: 92 ish
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Q & W "clang"
Favorite writer: VH1: Shooter

Post by ncameron »

I have gone to almost exclusively trade.
It's strictly a value proposition, but using X-O as an example
14 issues at 3.99=55.86
3 trades = 9.99+14.99+14.99=39.97

or if you really like over-sized hardcovers you have
1 Hardcover= 39.99

Either way, you have a far better package for reading the story and are saving money, if you can handle the over 15 month wait to obtain said story.
Though there is the reading library on another thread.

I have a few titles I am still going on a monthly basis for, mostly image books that will likely have a trade but I like supporting independent creators that way, the Marvel and DC books almost always will be collected at some point.

-Neil

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

ncameron wrote:I have gone to almost exclusively trade.
It's strictly a value proposition, but using X-O as an example
14 issues at 3.99=55.86
3 trades = 9.99+14.99+14.99=39.97

or if you really like over-sized hardcovers you have
1 Hardcover= 39.99

Either way, you have a far better package for reading the story and are saving money, if you can handle the over 15 month wait to obtain said story.
Though there is the reading library on another thread.

I have a few titles I am still going on a monthly basis for, mostly image books that will likely have a trade but I like supporting independent creators that way, the Marvel and DC books almost always will be collected at some point.

-Neil
I pre-ordered the Harbinger and XOmanowar Hardcover collection on Amazon for like 25$ each. That is a even better deal lol

paradise
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Major Valiant-supporting retailer
Valiant fan since: 1994
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar, Unity
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Bart Sears

Post by paradise »

I gotta play devil's advocate on this one. How do you know that the company will perpetually put out trades of each title? I know vol 1 always sells a lot, vol 2 less but good, by vol 4-5 sales don't justify themselves a lot of times, and MOST times (except for proven best sellers) trades don't go past that number. it would suck to start a single issue collection at issue 31, right? Not saying that's what is going to happen but 20 years in this business = some insight.
Edward
COLLECTOR'S PARADISE Stores:(Canoga Park, Pasadena, North Hollywood)
7131 Winnetka Ave - Canoga Park, CA - 91306 - 818-999-9455
319 S. Arroyo Parkway - Pasadena, CA - 91105 - 626-577-6694
5118 Lankershim Blvd - NoHo, CA - 91601 - 818-980-BOOK
http://ComicsAndCards.net

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

paradise wrote:I gotta play devil's advocate on this one. How do you know that the company will perpetually put out trades of each title? I know vol 1 always sells a lot, vol 2 less but good, by vol 4-5 sales don't justify themselves a lot of times, and MOST times (except for proven best sellers) trades don't go past that number. it would suck to start a single issue collection at issue 31, right? Not saying that's what is going to happen but 20 years in this business = some insight.
Ok, so this is what scares me. I thought that every comic makes it into trade or collection at some point. This is what is making this such a hard decision. I don't want to miss out on the books i am so into at the moment. I also like the comics for their potential value in the future. But then i have so many old books from the 80s and 90s that really aren't that valuable at the moment.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by ncameron »

paradise wrote:I gotta play devil's advocate on this one. How do you know that the company will perpetually put out trades of each title? I know vol 1 always sells a lot, vol 2 less but good, by vol 4-5 sales don't justify themselves a lot of times, and MOST times (except for proven best sellers) trades don't go past that number. it would suck to start a single issue collection at issue 31, right? Not saying that's what is going to happen but 20 years in this business = some insight.

Well you are correct, you never know.

DC especially seems to have issues collecting certain things into trades.
Hitman and Sandman Mystery Theater are two that immediately come to mind as it is a travesty that both runs arent completely collected.
There are also *SQUEE* ton of Vertigo mini's that were never collected either. Or as the case of the Authority Lost year Vol 2, sometimes things that get solicited have so few orders its not even worth printing.

But as far as I can tell with Marvel, Image, Oni and Darkhorse is that everything gets collected and fairly quickly.

Marvel often times has problems keeping the formats the same.
So my Agents of Atlas Collection, is 4 Hardcovers and one tpb, as the final series was only released in softcover which is kind of infuriating. Or the different hardcover bindings they have been trying lately.

Image is very good about getting the first arc out in trade provided the book is released on time, not always their biggest strength.

Now I can't say I have any type of superior insight but Valiant's output reminds me of the early Ultimate Universe release. Monthly, Trades for each arc, oversized HC collecting 2-3 trades. I loved it and collecting Ultimate Spiderman in the OHC format all the way through to Ultimatum made it a very enjoyable read. After purchasing a house with my wife I've gotten to the point that I want to get rid of long boxes, so switching to trades was fairly easy for me, bymmv.

-Neil

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

ncameron wrote:

Hitman and Sandman Mystery Theater are two that immediately come to mind as it is a travesty that both runs arent completely collected.
There are also *SQUEE* ton of Vertigo mini's that were never collected either. Or as the case of the Authority Lost year Vol 2, sometimes things that get solicited have so few orders its not even worth printing.

But as far as I can tell with Marvel, Image, Oni and Darkhorse is that everything gets collected and fairly quickly.

So my Agents of Atlas Collection, is 4 Hardcovers and one tpb, as the final series was only released in softcover which is kind of infuriating. Or the different hardcover bindings they have been trying lately.

Image is very good about getting the first arc out in trade provided the book is released on time, not always their biggest strength.

Now I can't say I have any type of superior insight but Valiant's output reminds me of the early Ultimate Universe release. Monthly, Trades for each arc, oversized HC collecting 2-3 trades. I loved it and collecting Ultimate Spiderman in the OHC format all the way through to Ultimatum made it a very enjoyable read. After purchasing a house with my wife I've gotten to the point that I want to get rid of long boxes, so switching to trades was fairly easy for me, bymmv.

-Neil
See i just got this awesome job and I am finally saving money. I want to get my girl a ring ASAP and get a apartment or go right to buying a house. I want to save even faster so cutting back on little things can only help me get to my goals. I am just so in love with her and i wanna be that guy who does the right thing for are future... but still i love comics and video games. As long as i can have those two things in my life I will be so happy. So I just need to keep saving for the future but like i said my new job is great so I can afford the books I am getting and still save money. Its really hard to stop buying comics tho. It really is like a 2nd relationship lol. :!:

lorddunlow
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.
I think you might be a closeted Canadian.

Post by lorddunlow »

ValiantReader wrote:
ncameron wrote:

-Neil
See i just got this awesome job and I am finally saving money. I want to get my girl a ring ASAP and get a apartment or go right to buying a house. I want to save even faster so cutting back on little things can only help me get to my goals. I am just so in love with her and i wanna be that guy who does the right thing for are future... but still i love comics and video games. As long as i can have those two things in my life I will be so happy. So I just need to keep saving for the future but like i said my new job is great so I can afford the books I am getting and still save money. Its really hard to stop buying comics tho. It really is like a 2nd relationship lol. :!:
You're making great decisions! I do monthlies for my "collection" and do most of my reading in digital format. If you just did digital you could save money by waiting for the inevitable price drop or sale. Digital doesn't take up any room!

Good luck with your chick! Definitely keep your hobbies!
*SQUEE* your science, I have a machine gun.

ncameron
You gotta have Faith!
You gotta have Faith!

Post by ncameron »

ValiantReader wrote:
Sounds like a good plan, you hadnt mentioned digital but I love reading stuff on my ipad. I also love the way image allows you to buy the files DRM free direct from them. So the CBR files are mine.

I guess my best recommendation I could make is to really make an inventory on a monthly basis of what books you really like and want to read as soon as the new issue is out. Anything that can wait, should be a wait for the trade type of book. Not too mention when you do get that house together you can have bookshelves anywhere, long boxes less so.

-Neil

mkb28
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Honey, it's time to spawn!
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Venditti and Dysart

Post by mkb28 »

Talk about a fast turnaround to get the TPB out. VEI is releasing Q&W Volume 1 TPB on November 6th, which is the same day that Q&W #5 is released! :o

For financial reasons and storage concerns, I want to make the switch to TPB's and HC's too. I'd like to still collect all the #1 variants, but 10+ covers for Unity #1 is making me question that strategy.

Plus, the TPB's and HC books are much more discounted on Amazon than the 10% off from my LCS.

Michael
mkb28

Aomalle27
Valiant fan since: 90s
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite title: XOmanowar
Favorite writer: ?

Post by Aomalle27 »

I started out reading only TPBs, but quickly realized that I was missing out on the cool new arcs, (and the discussion that goes with them, which makes it doubly fun to come to these forums). So now I collect both the TBPs and current monthlies, the first to refamiliarize myself with past stories, and the later, for collecting and keeping up on current stories. You've got a four month lag typically between the start of an arc, and the release of that arcs tpb. Do you really want to wait until May 2014 to start reading the first arc of RAI? (fingers crossed that January brings a new RAI title) I look at the Trades as my dogeared copies for revistiting stories after I've read them, or for reference (especially with Harbinger and the huge amount of various psiot characters especially those busted out of the PRS nursery) Just saying, tpb only, does have its drawbacks. Of course with only 7, and soon to be 8 titles in print right now (and VEI being primarily all I read safe the occasional rocketeer adventure, or DH X, which I'll be dropping soon, sorry Duane Swerzinsky, it isn't that costly, when they move to 15 monthly titles, I may have to revisit my buying both)

Savant

Post by Savant »

Aomalle27 wrote:I started out reading only TPBs, but quickly realized that I was missing out on the cool new arcs, (and the discussion that goes with them, which makes it doubly fun to come to these forums). So now I collect both the TBPs and current monthlies, the first to refamiliarize myself with past stories, and the later, for collecting and keeping up on current stories. You've got a four month lag typically between the start of an arc, and the release of that arcs tpb. Do you really want to wait until May 2014 to start reading the first arc of RAI? (fingers crossed that January brings a new RAI title) I look at the Trades as my dogeared copies for revistiting stories after I've read them, or for reference (especially with Harbinger and the huge amount of various psiot characters especially those busted out of the PRS nursery) Just saying, tpb only, does have its drawbacks. Of course with only 7, and soon to be 8 titles in print right now (and VEI being primarily all I read safe the occasional rocketeer adventure, or DH X, which I'll be dropping soon, sorry Duane Swerzinsky, it isn't that costly, when they move to 15 monthly titles, I may have to revisit my buying both)
There are more drawbacks than the wait. My issue is, what if there are chapters/issues I can't stand, and chapters/issue I like? Deem me mildly OCD, but I'd prefer to keep the issues I like and get rid of the issues I don't like. Can't do that with the collected format books.

A friend of mine, who swears by TPBs, sees it as the equivalent to buying a season set of a TV show on DVD. There are chances you won't like every single episode, and it's the same with a TPB. I see his reasoning as valid, but it still bothers me, mentally, when looking at it from the comic book perspective.

nscc
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite title: X-O/Harby/A+A/Unity
Favorite writer: Vditti/Dysart/FVL/Kindt
Favorite artist: soo many pretty pictures...

Post by nscc »

Well, my :twocents: is that I don't want to wait. I am greedy, and want all these stories ASAP, not 4-5 months later. I have waited over 15 years for Valiant to be back, I will not wait MONTHS more to be entertained :lol:

I buy all cover priced issues from Ed here and trades when I can afford em. I like reading the individual comics, but with the trades I can loan them out or read them wherever, and not worry about what happens to them.

I buy every other non-Valiant title in trade since I am not overly invested and I can wait for them.

Also, not that I am counting on it or even expecting it, but it would be cool if the back issues really take off in value in the future with VEI's continued success, and if so I want to keep them in as good shape as possible.
Where are we going and why am I in this hand-basket?

ValiantReader

Post by ValiantReader »

nscc wrote:
I buy every other non-Valiant title in trade since I am not overly invested and I can wait for them.
This is where im heading. Im reading some good comics other then Valiant but I think ill have to move them to trades and just stick with valiant. Ill never drop them!