Eternal Warrior #5 Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL
Eternal Warrior #5 Discussion

Post by Keith »

Welcome to 4001 AD.

My first thought is I'm struck by how different this future world is compared to what I'd normally associate with the VH1 future Valiant Universe. No soaring Milespires, no flying cars, no dudes in mini-skirts. Quite the opposite. Rather than a world that has progressed, this future shows one that has possibly regressed. No longer utopia, more Mad Max.

Second thought... damn decompresed story-telling. Stuff was starting to get very interesting indeed, then "see ya next month!" But I think that this issue accomplished it's goal very well. Set-up the world, and provide the impetus to explore it.

Third thought... the city sent out the machine beasty? Reference to the Sentient Cities we heard about in Archer & Armstrong? I'm curious to know where 4001 AD fits into the events described by the Sages in the Faraway.

That's all for now! Get to reading!
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

SJS4
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
Re: Eternal Warrior #5 Discussion

Post by SJS4 »

I enjoyed it. Love the art! Hope this guy sticks around...

Story is interesting. Definitely curious to see more of the 4001 world. I liked this take on Gilad as well. Will be interesting to see if he gets to interact with any future psiots (if they still exist)

I can also envision how a "Rai" character will fit in to this world. Really hoping he gets introduced with this arc.
Kurt Busiek wrote: Bull$#!t

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I really liked the issue...but damn did it read quick! I wanted more, though, so that's a good thing. Really liked the art, here, too. A cleaner version of Hairsine.

EW is still a bad *SQUEE* and still trying to be a family man, but he has a mixed bag of morals that makes him a complex character. You also get the sense that he's killed more than one god in his time, though again I have to wonder about the Wrath of the Eternal Warrior A&A arc and how that fits into everything we've seen. I just hope those events are reconciled with Pak's EW at some point soon.

Rai as a defender of a less sadistic Japan makes a lot of sense in this world, and could make for a major opponent to Gilad and his beliefs.

If this arc continues this well, it will really push EW up on my VEI list.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

grendeljd
innerSPACE does whatever I tell them
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Harbinger
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

Loved this issue!! Great characterization of Gilad, love the Grandfather/granddaughter relationship happening. And I really liked how Pak handled the suggested history of what he has done since present day leading up to 4001.

What a welcome surprise to be introduced to a low tech, post-apocalyptic wasteland, rather than a high concept, hi-tech utopia. This has got me very excited to see what the rest of the VEI version of 4001AD is going to be like. I'm guessing it won't be like this everywhere, I have the feeling Gilad was deliberately spending time with this community for generations to avoid the rest of the world. Makes me wonder if he is just playing a role as 'Eternal Emperor' for the sake of helping this community of people, rather than actually having been a true Emperor in the past...

I don't think the city at the end, with the House Of The Wheel flags, will necessarily be one of the sentient cities mentioned in A&A. Gilad mentions in his narration that the robots are slapped together by people who seem to have some training as mechanics but who don't fully understand what they're working on. Doesn't seem like something that would come out of a sentient city... But I can't wait to see one!

The story also didn't feel decompressed to me at all, at least up until the huge splash pages near the end. So much great world & character building happened at the front end of the story, it felt like a solid read to me.

I also really enjoyed the artwork here - great stuff! I may be inspired to draw up the Eternal Emperor for #FanArtFriday this week! :thumb:
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:Loved this issue!! Great characterization of Gilad, love the Grandfather/granddaughter relationship happening. And I really liked how Pak handled the suggested history of what he has done since present day leading up to 4001.

What a welcome surprise to be introduced to a low tech, post-apocalyptic wasteland, rather than a high concept, hi-tech utopia. This has got me very excited to see what the rest of the VEI version of 4001AD is going to be like. I'm guessing it won't be like this everywhere, I have the feeling Gilad was deliberately spending time with this community for generations to avoid the rest of the world. Makes me wonder if he is just playing a role as 'Eternal Emperor' for the sake of helping this community of people, rather than actually having been a true Emperor in the past...

I don't think the city at the end, with the House Of The Wheel flags, will necessarily be one of the sentient cities mentioned in A&A. Gilad mentions in his narration that the robots are slapped together by people who seem to have some training as mechanics but who don't fully understand what they're working on. Doesn't seem like something that would come out of a sentient city... But I can't wait to see one!

The story also didn't feel decompressed to me at all, at least up until the huge splash pages near the end. So much great world & character building happened at the front end of the story, it felt like a solid read to me.

I also really enjoyed the artwork here - great stuff! I may be inspired to draw up the Eternal Emperor for #FanArtFriday this week! :thumb:
I believe Gilad was referring directly to the nuclear device when saying they were built by mechanics after all the scientists were gone. He added something like "toward the end of the old world." I'm guessing these were haphazardly created nuclear weapons at the end of some great world war that explode at some point no matter what.

grendeljd
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Aric
Location: On the 7.5th floor of LesterCorp, headed through the back door to John Malkovich's brain.

Post by grendeljd »

BugsySig wrote:
grendeljd wrote:Loved this issue!! Great characterization of Gilad, love the Grandfather/granddaughter relationship happening. And I really liked how Pak handled the suggested history of what he has done since present day leading up to 4001.

I believe Gilad was referring directly to the nuclear device when saying they were built by mechanics after all the scientists were gone. He added something like "toward the end of the old world." I'm guessing these were haphazardly created nuclear weapons at the end of some great world war that explode at some point no matter what.
You might be right, but I think all that dialogue was in reference to the robot itself. The nuclear device, I assumed, was a power source for the machine - not built as a bomb but acting like one since they would be in states of disrepair that the 'mechanics' reffered to wouldn't understand how to fix.

On page 7 Gilad says 'someone just as mortal as you went into the forbidden pits... dug up the old machines... and figured out how to cobble them together'. He says this before he sees the radioactive symbol. Then on page 10, he says 'The D-550 units were such a rush job. Cobbled together by barely-trained mechanics after all the scientists were dead. Once you turned them on, it was only a matter of time before they'd go.' - IMO, the reference to a 'D-550 unit' is a designation name for the whole robot, not just its power supply.

But, in any case, it could be interpreted as you did, Bugsy. The larger picture for me is that it suggests the city he traveled to might not be one of the sentient cities, or at least one that is not in very good shape. I'm speculating that it could just be run by a 'cult of the machine' group of people, aka the future version of the remnants of the House of the Wheel.

And the more I think about it, the continuos references to the old gods could be referring to the sentient cities, sentient machines, etc. Gilad is referred to as The Godkiller, leading me to think that in the [future]past he may have destroyed a local sentient city in whatever part of the world he is currently in, and set up camp with the community he built afterwards.

Its all very cool, this issue has totally fired up my imagination. I love great post-apocalyptic tales.
I like to draw stuff... http://grendeljd.deviantart.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My wife likes to draw stuff too, and she is better than me! [I'm very proud of her]... https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sara-Dec ... ref=stream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

grendeljd wrote:
BugsySig wrote:

You might be right, but I think all that dialogue was in reference to the robot itself. The nuclear device, I assumed, was a power source for the machine - not built as a bomb but acting like one since they would be in states of disrepair that the 'mechanics' reffered to wouldn't understand how to fix.

On page 7 Gilad says 'someone just as mortal as you went into the forbidden pits... dug up the old machines... and figured out how to cobble them together'. He says this before he sees the radioactive symbol. Then on page 10, he says 'The D-550 units were such a rush job. Cobbled together by barely-trained mechanics after all the scientists were dead. Once you turned them on, it was only a matter of time before they'd go.' - IMO, the reference to a 'D-550 unit' is a designation name for the whole robot, not just its power supply.

But, in any case, it could be interpreted as you did, Bugsy. The larger picture for me is that it suggests the city he traveled to might not be one of the sentient cities, or at least one that is not in very good shape. I'm speculating that it could just be run by a 'cult of the machine' group of people, aka the future version of the remnants of the House of the Wheel.

And the more I think about it, the continuos references to the old gods could be referring to the sentient cities, sentient machines, etc. Gilad is referred to as The Godkiller, leading me to think that in the [future]past he may have destroyed a local sentient city in whatever part of the world he is currently in, and set up camp with the community he built afterwards.

Its all very cool, this issue has totally fired up my imagination. I love great post-apocalyptic tales.
I could see that as well...could have been referring to the whole beast, but then I don't think he would have been so surprised to find the power source. He would have known the thing would blow right away. Perhaps they were not meant to be weapons, but were just what he said: a power source...but I still suspect they are older than the "beasts" that the "city" created.

kevinbastos
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
I felt 'used car salesman' kind of dirty.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: Quantum & Woody

Post by kevinbastos »

Anyone else INSTANTLY go where I did when you saw this :atomic: ?
Hey, look! I have a podcast!
And a Website!
http://www.valiantnewuniverse.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If I win an argument, it doesn't mean I'm right. It means I'm a better arguer.

In addition, I'm right.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by bygranddesign »

I really enjoyed this issue

Pak gave a nice overview of Gilad's character in 4001 - he is caring and loving (especially to his granddaughter) but he can also be brutal and a bit heartless in his pragmatism.

The world (or this corner of the 4001 world) is fun and has potential. The city (which looks like its run by the house of the wheel) is a steam punk enthusiasts wet dream.

But I'm hoping that the whole world doesn't have this mad max post apocalyptic type look. I want to see far out concepts about the future that I would never dream possible - FVL was going in the right direction with the sentient cities - I think there is something wonderfully sinister about a city that looks idyllic and peaceful but where everything around you is alive so you are never alone. Perhaps not even in your own thoughts are you alone. There is something extremely creepy about that - that is also poignant to the times we live in and where we are possibly heading. Hopefully the Sentient Cities is where Rai ultimately resides.

But this corner of the world that Pak is creating, although a bit typical, has still got me excited. Can't wait to see the next issue.
Ha! Yeah! Nice! Any of those dudes in your head mosh?! - Flamingo

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

Great post. I agree I think Gilad deliberately shielded his people from the more technologically advanced parts of the world.
And I also don't think this is a Sentient City looks like an advanced steam punk city.

It's interesting that the big set up from last issue was that Mitu would free the Dread Lord during this time period .. Yet no mention at all of this ... only that Gilad killed all the God's. So are we to assume that Gilad went down the secret door under the tree and slayed the God of the House of Dead? Somehow I think the Gods are still very much alive - and we'll see the Dread Lord by the end of this arc.. Should be cool :popcorn:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

bygranddesign wrote:

Great post. I agree I think Gilad deliberately shielded his people from the more technologically advanced parts of the world.
And I also don't think this is a Sentient City looks like an advanced steam punk city.

It's interesting that the big set up from last issue was that Mitu would free the Dread Lord during this time period .. Yet no mention at all of this ... only that Gilad killed all the God's. So are we to assume that Gilad went down the secret door under the tree and slayed the God of the House of Dead? Somehow I think the Gods are still very much alive - and we'll see the Dread Lord by the end of this arc.. Should be cool :popcorn:
Well if the first arc took place two years before the A&A arc, that puts it at 2010...so there's still 9 years to go until Nergal awakens, right?

bygranddesign

Post by bygranddesign »

BugsySig wrote:
Well if the first arc took place two years before the A&A arc, that puts it at 2010...so there's still 9 years to go until Nergal awakens, right?
Yeah I think you are right .. but I think the only clue in the actual books I believe was an editors note in the story so far synopsis that said it took place before A&A #5. Was it Pak or Simons who said it was two years before in an article or on twitter? Its kind of disappointing that we have to play detective on when that first arc took place. Why can't dates be used within the story? :?
It would clear things up.

Anyway, its a weird narrative choice if you set up the future storyline with this idea that the God of the House of Dead will be released in 2000 years and you jump ahead and tell a different story in the future 9 years before that happens. Kind of weird - I would think this storyline would have to tie into the previous arc in someway.

I also thought that perhaps the 2000 year remark was a ballpark estimation... Those type of dead roots calculations might be plus or minus 8-10 years :)

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

bygranddesign wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Yeah I think you are right .. but I think the only clue in the actual books I believe was an editors note in the story so far synopsis that said it took place before A&A #5. Was it Pak or Simons who said it was two years before in an article or on twitter? Its kind of disappointing that we have to play detective on when that first arc took place. Why can't dates be used within the story? :?

Anyway, its a weird narrative choice if you set up the future storyline with this idea that the God of the House of Dead will be released in 2000 years and you jump ahead and tell a different story in the future 9 years before that happens. Kind of weird - I would think this storyline would have to tie into the previous arc in someway.

I also thought that perhaps the 2000 year remark was a ballpark estimation... Those type of dead roots calculations might be plus or minus 8-10 years :)
Mostly I was being snarky :D , but when it comes to the "ball-park" estimate, I wouldn't think a GOD ball-parks anything. I figure she would know exactly how long it would take for the roots to waste away.

Random thought...unrelated...Could Gilad's destruction of the Earth's physical manifestation and/or the physical item it was attached to (ie the Tree of Life) have resulted in the Earth's inability to communicate unless it is through the astral plane (a la how the Earth speaks to Kay in the A&A arc)?

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

bygranddesign wrote:Its kind of disappointing that we have to play detective on when that first arc took place. Why can't dates be used within the story? :?
I agree, I can understand why they'd avoid specific dates in the present to maintain a sliding timeline so that characters don't get old too fast, but this particular story could have taken place at any time before A&A, so why not just come out and say it was 2001 or whenever?

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

Enjoyed the issue but yes, a fast read. It's funny that Gilad is paired with a 9 year old grand-daughter when he could have grand-daughters 90 years old. :P

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I'm joining this party a little late, but I really enjoyed this book. Both offerings were good today, but this was my favorite. I'm very intrigued by what has happened so much of the population was decimated to the point where there were no scientists. It seems as if time has reversed and we are back to the days of old. No technology, butchery/warfare, and the one constant, humanity's ability to torture and profit off one another.

I thought the art was well done, fitted the story. Enjoyed seeing Eternal Warrior relate to his granddaughter. The city looks Asian-inspired to me but it doesn't appear that this is where we'll meet Rai - not if technology is basically forbidden.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

dornwolf
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.

Post by dornwolf »

pixierosa wrote: I thought the art was well done, fitted the story. Enjoyed seeing Eternal Warrior relate to his granddaughter. The city looks Asian-inspired to me but it doesn't appear that this is where we'll meet Rai - not if technology is basically forbidden.
I rather like the relationship between Gilad and his Granddaughter especially when he shows he relies on her decision thinking to basically keep him on the straight and arrow. I'll agree in a way with Rai, we might meet Rai in the city but he will not be a resident of it. As I believe Japan will be part of the eventual sentient cities or Rai will be from one.

DirtbagSailor
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
I only know how to fish, f^%k, fight, and throw rocks
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Harada
Favorite title: Imperium

Post by DirtbagSailor »

Oh, I dig it lots!

It was a fantastic issue, and a great opening to VEI's dystopian future of 4001! Honestly, I could imagine scenes from this issue as the opening of an AWESOME movie!

DBS

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Interesting... Pak answered a question on his Tumblr as to why Gilad is looking so old in 4001.

"I don't want to spoil anything. But he is called the "Godkiller" in 4001. Many things have changed in a world without gods."
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Loved this issue. HUGE step up. I enjoyed the art, but it did feel a bit stiff in places.

I know that covers aren't necessarily canon, but there seems to be a more advanced 4001 city in the background of the cover, so I don't think that all of this era is going to be Mad Max style run down shanty towns...

AnthonyF
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: TOYO HARADA
Favorite title: HARBINGER
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by AnthonyF »

Really enjoyed it, the art was solid. I was concerned it would seem too much like Old Man Logan, but so far it was it's own story. Seeing Gilad suit up was cool! :thumb:

I like that he acknowledged that his grand daughter could be immortal, or atleast have healing powers. Hope they explain why the city sends out these machines, what good is it to kill villages so far away.

Speaking of the Gods, who do you think the Gods are? The same Gods from the first arch, or something new?

Captain Craig
Favorite character: XO Manowar/Shadowman
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite writer: tough one

Post by Captain Craig »

kevinbastos wrote:Anyone else INSTANTLY go where I did when you saw this :atomic: ?
YES

Grade: A- ; 4 of 5 stars

Perhaps this is how they should've started the book. It would've avoided all the "how does this fit with where we first see Gilad in A&A #5" etc. etc. etc.

We open in 4001 A.D. around a small group of tribesmen and their families. An attack from a misshapen beast is seen coming towards a group and several suffer mortal injury. A lone 10-12 yr old girl(Caroline) delivers a blow to the creatures eye allowing for the first step in fully taking it down. Which Gilad does. Gilad has the role of ruler, leader, king among these tribesmen. He is credited with bringing down the 'gods' of old and some see the beast as a sign the 'gods' have returned. My question would be, when these people say 'gods' do they mean Psiots? Nanites? Darque? Or are these gods something yet to be introduced into VEI.

Gilad ushers the people into the "lands we do not enter" for where he has essentially build a secluded underground safe zone. He returns to examine the beast and discovers that it's actually a cobbled together creation of organic and "old world" technology. A panel focuses on the symbol we now as radioactivity*. The device is set to blow and it does killing a few stragglers of the group. Gilad tells the survivors in the hiding space to stay till the cloud clears, he's going to hunt who did this. Tracking the beasts footprints backwards starts by taking him from, the Arkansas region, to the Northeast part of the continent.

He encounters a raiding party who acknowledges the beast and reveal they are sent to gather workers, slaves and materials after the beast does it's thing. The unknown at this point is to me is, whomever is sending out the beasts are they doing aimlessly or hoping to root Gilad out? Is Gilad's involvement purely accidental. It seems he was happy to be where he was and had been in that situation for some time. As Caroline is noted as being his grand daughter. One of the raiders reveals they just collect the bounty and return it to the city....to which Caroline asks: What's a city.

While the issue is low on ties to the prior arc the last panel does show the outskirts of the city and its walls with a gate. I think it's fair to say we could assign the symbology on the gate to the House of the Wheel as mentioned in the prior arc at least.

Also, I'm a fan of the Mighty Samson character from Gold Key as well. I'd thought he was in the public domain when I saw him(a version?) in Dynamites PSP line. Then Dark Horse had him as part of their revival line and it was a very solid book, better than Magnus imo. Dynamite says they have a wave two, could he be in this wave if DE does a wave two?
If not could VEI do their own version of Samson, his backstory could fit in seamlessly here.

I'd also note that just cause the planet, or what we've seen of it, is wrecked doesn't mean the sentient floating cites aren't still on orbit.

Very solid opening issue by Greg Pak and the art was solid throughout as well.

*Note, the Valiant fan in me would love for that to be a tease for Solar Man of the Atom, it would also answer the 'gods' question but Solar is at Dynamite so it's just a symbol for radioactivity

Bone-A-Fach-ee
Valiant fan since: '92
Favorite character: Tony Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger/Imperium
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Bone-A-Fach-ee »

Some points already spoken on by others that I highly agree with:
1) Should have started the title with this. Best issue of the run so far.
2) Loved seeing the :atomic: sign, only thought of 1 thing!
3) Glad Pak made a disclaimer about why Gilad aged so much. I was a little miffed by that, but if there is an answer for it, all the better.

Now to original thoughts.
Seems very Walking Dead to me. As I am reading that right now, this seems very "what would you do at the end of the world" type of genre.
Loved it when Gilad says "Hold this. I'm going to kill you, defend yourself."

Looking forward to seeing Rai's involvement.
And of course, what caused the apocalypse?

mateo107
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Obadiah Archer
Favorite title: Archer and Armstrong
Favorite artist: Doug Braithwaite

Post by mateo107 »

this book continues to fall flat for me. it frustrates me because I like the character and the concepts, but the actual delivery needs a lot of work. just like the last arc, it raises more questions than it answers and doesn't seem to offer enough payoff. it has consecutive pages of no action, no dialogue aside from some cryptic narration, and no exposition. I do like Greg Pak's vision of the future, especially the take on Gilad Robot Fighter, but to me it seems like he has a lot of ideas in his mind which he just doesn't know how to convey on paper, and people shouldn't have to follow him on twitter to get insight into that. new readers aren't going to be that patient with a cast of characters who are barely introduced in a world with little background.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Captain Craig wrote:
kevinbastos wrote:Anyone else INSTANTLY go where I did when you saw this :atomic: ?
YES

Grade: A- ; 4 of 5 stars

Perhaps this is how they should've started the book. It would've avoided all the "how does this fit with where we first see Gilad in A&A #5" etc. etc. etc.

We open in 4001 A.D. around a small group of tribesmen and their families. An attack from a misshapen beast is seen coming towards a group and several suffer mortal injury. A lone 10-12 yr old girl(Caroline) delivers a blow to the creatures eye allowing for the first step in fully taking it down. Which Gilad does. Gilad has the role of ruler, leader, king among these tribesmen. He is credited with bringing down the 'gods' of old and some see the beast as a sign the 'gods' have returned. My question would be, when these people say 'gods' do they mean Psiots? Nanites? Darque? Or are these gods something yet to be introduced into VEI.

Gilad ushers the people into the "lands we do not enter" for where he has essentially build a secluded underground safe zone. He returns to examine the beast and discovers that it's actually a cobbled together creation of organic and "old world" technology. A panel focuses on the symbol we now as radioactivity*. The device is set to blow and it does killing a few stragglers of the group. Gilad tells the survivors in the hiding space to stay till the cloud clears, he's going to hunt who did this. Tracking the beasts footprints backwards starts by taking him from, the Arkansas region, to the Northeast part of the continent.

He encounters a raiding party who acknowledges the beast and reveal they are sent to gather workers, slaves and materials after the beast does it's thing. The unknown at this point is to me is, whomever is sending out the beasts are they doing aimlessly or hoping to root Gilad out? Is Gilad's involvement purely accidental. It seems he was happy to be where he was and had been in that situation for some time. As Caroline is noted as being his grand daughter. One of the raiders reveals they just collect the bounty and return it to the city....to which Caroline asks: What's a city.

While the issue is low on ties to the prior arc the last panel does show the outskirts of the city and its walls with a gate. I think it's fair to say we could assign the symbology on the gate to the House of the Wheel as mentioned in the prior arc at least.

Also, I'm a fan of the Mighty Samson character from Gold Key as well. I'd thought he was in the public domain when I saw him(a version?) in Dynamites PSP line. Then Dark Horse had him as part of their revival line and it was a very solid book, better than Magnus imo. Dynamite says they have a wave two, could he be in this wave if DE does a wave two?
If not could VEI do their own version of Samson, his backstory could fit in seamlessly here.

I'd also note that just cause the planet, or what we've seen of it, is wrecked doesn't mean the sentient floating cites aren't still on orbit.

Very solid opening issue by Greg Pak and the art was solid throughout as well.

*Note, the Valiant fan in me would love for that to be a tease for Solar Man of the Atom, it would also answer the 'gods' question but Solar is at Dynamite so it's just a symbol for radioactivity
There are multiple different Sampson's. Gold Key Sampson was from a Dystopian future, while the Golden Age Sampson was literally Sampson (I believe). The latter is the public domain character that has been used by Image and Dynamite in the past. It's possible the Gold Key Sampson is based in that original as well, but I'm not sure.