BOD: The Fall of Harbinger - Discussion

An area for Valiant SPOILER-RELATED discussions.
Any books which have been published and are available may be discussed here. Recent book discussions may contain spoilers for those who have not yet read them.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

sonicdan
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Nice art! (I used to own that.)
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Bloodshot
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart
Favorite artist: Lewis LaRosa
BOD: The Fall of Harbinger - Discussion

Post by sonicdan »

Loved it! My favorite one so far and they have all been fantastic!
Sonicdan's Comics and Original Art: http://www.sonicdan.com
My eBay Store (Comics, Art, Collectibles) https://www.ebay.com/str/sonicdanscomicsart

Brapbrap
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Sunlight On Snow
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Raul Allen
Re: BOD: The Fall of Harbinger - Discussion

Post by Brapbrap »

-curtis is the monk keeper and he was doing an experiment with nanomachines and blood at the start, is there a link between the monk and bloodshot? or the monk and rai?
-looks like the bleeding monk is a good guy and while he has misled people it was for good reasons
-nimbus ring? is this built from the vine wreckage belt? is it part of the weird elevators and stuff in ivar? is it linked to floating cities like new japan?
-faith and archer further confirmed :D :D :D
-is this event the reason earth is so ruined in ivar and rai?
-vagabond (or someone who looks like him) is at faith's funeral so the H.A.R.D. Corps from B&THC may come back

apart from those tidbits this is my favourite comic VEI have ever put out. the art was gorgeous, the colors were gorgeous, the story was incredible.

Michael_Ayer
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Michael_Ayer »

I'm not feeling it. It was okay, but it felt disconnected to me.

- Peter apparently stays a ruined 'kid. for a long time
- Torque drops super hero-ing.
- Kris is out too.
- how about a hint at faith, why is she the most popular
- It ignores the rest of the geomancer realm of the world
- I had a hard time following what was happening

I don't know. I read it and thought I could have waited for it to be cheaper.

Art was beautiful though.
I wrote a Shadowman Story for KINDLE WORLDS.

Check it out: http://amzn.com/B00IMFHWDS

depluto
[custom level vored]
[custom level vored]
Valiant fan since: Yes
Favorite character: Yes
Favorite title: Yes
Favorite writer: Yes

Post by depluto »

A top 5 Valiant book ... I love Josh Dysart. A long time ago I thought Harbinger was the best comic book I had ever read. I think the same thing now (sure, not technically "Harbinger" any more, but you know what I mean).

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

This may be he best single VEI issue to date. It was an amazing story. Sure, there are unanswered questions. It's supposed to be that way. It's a peak into the future; a tease. But so much depth to Harada and Peter's final encounter. Harada redeemed (?) in the end. Peter unable to ascend. It was beautiful.

And am I right to assume the SOS collective are...human? Positrons? Something else all together?

I am curious as to where this fits into the timeline for the launch of New Japan as seen in BoD: Fall of Ninjak. And if it ties Harada into Father, or something if he's something else entirely.

I want to watch Torquehalla and I loved Faith's funeral.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

BugsySig wrote:This may be he best single VEI issue to date. It was an amazing story. Sure, there are unanswered questions. It's supposed to be that way. It's a peak into the future; a tease. But so much depth to Harada and Peter's final encounter. Harada redeemed (?) in the end. Peter unable to ascend. It was beautiful.

And am I right to assume the SOS collective are...human? Positrons? Something else all together?

I am curious as to where this fits into the timeline for the launch of New Japan as seen in BoD: Fall of Ninjak. And if it ties Harada into Father, or something if he's something else entirely.

Yeah, Faith's funeral was the most moving part of the whole issue.

So I'm thinking the events of Fall of Ninjak occur prior to Harbinger, maybe with a 50 - 60 year gap between them. Basing this on Ninjak's comments to the Livewire positron being back with Harada. So New Japan is already in orbit, then the Earth gets devastated.

This would also mean that there is likely a remnant of the Harbinger Foundation on Earth in 4001.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

agent_graves
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Just jumpin' through time arcs, that's all.
Valiant fan since: Since VEI(Turok #1?)
Favorite character: Divinity/Shadowman/LiveWire
Favorite title: Divinity/Imperium/Ninjak
Favorite writer: Kindt/Lemire/Dysart
Favorite artist: Mann/Cafu/De la Torre

Post by agent_graves »

I absolutely LOVED, that last page. But overall, if I was ranking the BOD one-shots, this issue would currently, be in third place. Faiths fate was heartbreaking, I like her, I'm looking forward to her mini.
#StayValiant

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Keith wrote:
BugsySig wrote:This may be he best single VEI issue to date. It was an amazing story. Sure, there are unanswered questions. It's supposed to be that way. It's a peak into the future; a tease. But so much depth to Harada and Peter's final encounter. Harada redeemed (?) in the end. Peter unable to ascend. It was beautiful.

So I'm thinking the events of Fall of Ninjak occur prior to Harbinger, maybe with a 50 - 60 year gap between them. Basing this on Ninjak's comments to the Livewire positron being back with Harada. So New Japan is already in orbit, then the Earth gets devastated.

This would also mean that there is likely a remnant of the Harbinger Foundation on Earth in 4001.
Given the age of Ninjak in his Fall issue, even with an expanded life, it would have to put it before this issue's time.

Of course there is also the possibility the Harada in the Ninjak issue was also a positron like livewire, and not actually Harada.

Michael_Ayer
Valiant fan since: 1993
Favorite character: Archer
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry

Post by Michael_Ayer »

That's one of the things I didn't like. I didn't like how it didn't seem to fit with the others.
I wrote a Shadowman Story for KINDLE WORLDS.

Check it out: http://amzn.com/B00IMFHWDS

pixierosa
Nanite-powered posting
Nanite-powered posting
Favorite writer: Dysart

Post by pixierosa »

I loved it. Dysart outdid even his work on Harbinger. There's lots of emotions - humor, sadness, hope. There's a sense of pride in the accomplishments of the Renegades. Resiliency. Even the ending isn't truly an ending, but a possibility. This book was far more hopeful than the other Fall Ofs and very character-centric.

So many big reveals without being splashy.

I love the insights as well, on who we are being made up of our past. Also the unsaid commentary on history not always being correct (the world thinking that Peter and Harada destroyed them).

Someone mentioned Pete being an addict for a long time... there's no mention of when Faith's intervention occurred. I'm thinking it will be soon.

Lots of nuances. Great story.
"Sorry, no. You are absolutely about to pepper spray the wrong guy."

hkupo
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: Faith
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain/Henry

Post by hkupo »

pixierosa wrote:I loved it. Dysart outdid even his work on Harbinger. There's lots of emotions - humor, sadness, hope. There's a sense of pride in the accomplishments of the Renegades. Resiliency. Even the ending isn't truly an ending, but a possibility. This book was far more hopeful than the other Fall Ofs and very character-centric.

So many big reveals without being splashy.

I love the insights as well, on who we are being made up of our past. Also the unsaid commentary on history not always being correct (the world thinking that Peter and Harada destroyed them).

Someone mentioned Pete being an addict for a long time... there's no mention of when Faith's intervention occurred. I'm thinking it will be soon.

Lots of nuances. Great story.
After reading this comment, especially the bolded, I realized that Dysart completely captured everything I love about Faith without actually writing her in the story. She gets Peter to clean himself up, she's there for Torque, and the impact her life has on so many. How does this guy fit so much character work in one book and still fill it with an actual plot and story?
Peter Vest I stole your N64

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Michael_Ayer wrote:That's one of the things I didn't like. I didn't like how it didn't seem to fit with the others.
There were still pieces there. One of things in writing all these future issues is leaving enough room for future stories to be told. You don't want to connect all the dots.

And why it was different is why I liked it so much. Of the three Fall of books, this one felt like a complete story. Bloodshot was a survey of the next several thousand years of his life and Ninjak left a lot to be desired in terms of a satisfying death. This issue was just epic. It had character, plot and intrigue all while satisfying the need for future tidbits in the VALIANT Universe.

Elveen
I sell comics, I collect Valiant.
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

hkupo wrote: How does this guy fit so much character work in one book and still fill it with an actual plot and story?
Unfettered brillance.
Also, Josh does not have a car and gets himself around Venice Beach on his bike. I think that has something to do with it.
He also had an old flip phone as recently as last year.
Different perspectives always shine through.

bygranddesign
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
it sounds like "chuffed" goes both ways
Favorite character: Peter Stanchek

Post by bygranddesign »

BugsySig wrote:
Keith wrote:

Given the age of Ninjak in his Fall issue, even with an expanded life, it would have to put it before this issue's time.

Of course there is also the possibility the Harada in the Ninjak issue was also a positron like livewire, and not actually Harada.
Yeah, The BOD: Ninjak issue, took place 100 years in the future ... with this BOD: Harbinger issue taking place 200 years in the future.

My guess on Father, based on the Ninjak issue, is that its positron version of Livewire. She is the one that conceived of New Japan (Harada wasn't interested) ... I think she created this idea of "Father" being the leader just to create this idealized (in her mind) traditional version of Japan. But Father is really just positron Livewire perhaps playing homage to her Master Harada.

I thought this issue was awesome by the way.

Every issue of "Fall of.." has been great so far -- But this was the total package.

Loving and caring so much about these characters -- I was both excited and hesitant to read this. But it exceeded my expectations. It was a tricky situation for Dysart -- he honored and stayed true to the characters and stayed true to what I think most readers would have wanted to see from these characters. Peter ... getting his life together and becoming a leader ... and a hero. Faith becoming the inspirational leader and most loved superhero. Kris becoming the renegade politician ... Torque being the media sensation yet still too proud to be seen as vulnerable... The final confrontation of Toyo and Peter ... It was all beautifully conceived and very satisfying ... yet still surprising... and perplexing (in a good way). That was the trick that Dysart was able to pull off.

And Kano's work was breathtaking.

I'm assuming he did all the art and the beautiful colors. Absolutely beautiful work.

Hasmot
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Primary Reebo
Favorite title: X-O Manowar and Ninjak
Favorite writer: I don't even know anymore.
Favorite artist: Cary Nord

Post by Hasmot »

I'm building my own conspiracy theory brainstorm that Sunlight on Snow is an early stage of Father. This issue had the A.I. with their own sort of freedom/rights or whatnot, the bleeding monk was reborn already bleeding to individuals who will help guide him/her (or most likely experiment and push political agenda on), and Harada and Peter are both now out of the picture. I'm going out on a limb here, but I'm thinking a major *SQUEE* is about to go down very soon after the conclusion here with all of the political bickering and no omega to keep things in order. Leading to the government style of places such as New Japan where humans have lost the right to make decisions because of all of the drama, but the A.I didn't want to kill them all off. Perhaps Father is an associate or descendant of Sunlight on Snow or even a corrupted version. Something to keep order. Ah, I don't know. I like how 4001 is relating more to present day though. It's a lot of fun thinking about.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:Of the three Fall of books, this one felt like a complete story. Bloodshot was a survey of the next several thousand years of his life and Ninjak left a lot to be desired in terms of a satisfying death. This issue was just epic. It had character, plot and intrigue all while satisfying the need for future tidbits in the VALIANT Universe.
This. There was a complete story. I liked the other Fall of Books but this one absolutely shines. Dysart just packs in so much wonderful story and emotion and characterization and conceptualization.

Just so much to digest. Bleeding Monk dead and reborn. The melancholy of everyone on Earth having no idea what transpired, of how hard Pete fought. Harada and Pete making their peace. Harada moving on, not entirely defeated. Seeing the gang old; seeing them young again. Faith and Archer. Faith as a revered superhero. The Foundation. The Nimbus Ring. The Divinity emissaries. Sunlight on Snow nodes.

Wonderful.

tiredofmyself
Valiant fan since: 2015
Favorite character: Kris Hathaway
Favorite title: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti

Post by tiredofmyself »

Hmm nobody is surprised at the many-possible-worlds (i.e. full ascension, early deaths, gay lovers, etc)? I know they said stuff shown in Book of Death event will come to pass in the future, but does that mean the ending may be different due to chronology protection cracked in Ivar and the geomancer was sent from the future in Valiant?

Blood of Heroes
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.
I only beat my wife when I'm sober.

Post by Blood of Heroes »

Good stuff. One of the best books VEI has put out yet. Faith's funereal hit me right in the feels. Dysart seems to have a knack for doing that.

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

tiredofmyself wrote:Hmm nobody is surprised at the many-possible-worlds (i.e. full ascension, early deaths, gay lovers, etc)? I know they said stuff shown in Book of Death event will come to pass in the future, but does that mean the ending may be different due to chronology protection cracked in Ivar and the geomancer was sent from the future in Valiant?
Valiant is certainly laying down a predicate for future Alternities in the VEI universe. Going out of their way to do so, in fact.

Elveen
Location: Educating the future of America, or something like that

Post by Elveen »

jmatt wrote:
tiredofmyself wrote:Hmm nobody is surprised at the many-possible-worlds (i.e. full ascension, early deaths, gay lovers, etc)? I know they said stuff shown in Book of Death event will come to pass in the future, but does that mean the ending may be different due to chronology protection cracked in Ivar and the geomancer was sent from the future in Valiant?
Valiant is certainly laying down a predicate for future Alternities in the VEI universe. Going out of their way to do so, in fact.

Valiant Elseworlds What If books?

Yes please!

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:
That was my thought as well.

Phoenix8008
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
I don't know about a power, but I keep hearing these weird tones from the radio
Favorite character: Aric

Post by Phoenix8008 »

Just reread this yesterday, and a thought occurred to me. Harada ascends at the end, and becomes this big, multi-colored field of light. Where have we seen that before? Not the ascension, but the swirling field of lights?? Very much like what Divinity found out in space, if memory serves. I haven't gone back to look at my Divinity issues yet, but I remember it being pretty similar. Not saying that ascended Harada IS what Divinity and his cosmonauts found (timeline is all wrong, of course), but maybe some other ascended being?
-Phoenix8008 (a.k.a. Charticus!)
Viva la Valiant!
(moderator of r/Valiant subreddit)

Keith
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Phoenix8008 wrote:Just reread this yesterday, and a thought occurred to me. Harada ascends at the end, and becomes this big, multi-colored field of light. Where have we seen that before? Not the ascension, but the swirling field of lights?? Very much like what Divinity found out in space, if memory serves. I haven't gone back to look at my Divinity issues yet, but I remember it being pretty similar. Not saying that ascended Harada IS what Divinity and his cosmonauts found (timeline is all wrong, of course), but maybe some other ascended being?
Interesting theory.
- An ascended Harada (presumably with some control over space/time) creates Divinity.
- Divinity is then there to be a foil for Harada and his Imperium designs while Peter is off the chessboard.
- The timeline plays out to the point with Divinity being a major influence in the world and where Harada ascends as seen in BoD: TFoH.

Did Harada create his own checkmate to keep him from going overboard and ultimately create the future where he would ascend?
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

geocarr
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Those responsible for those remarks have been sacked.
Favorite character: Vincent the Goat!
Favorite title: All of them!

Post by geocarr »

Keith wrote:
Phoenix8008 wrote:Just reread this yesterday, and a thought occurred to me. Harada ascends at the end, and becomes this big, multi-colored field of light. Where have we seen that before? Not the ascension, but the swirling field of lights?? Very much like what Divinity found out in space, if memory serves. I haven't gone back to look at my Divinity issues yet, but I remember it being pretty similar. Not saying that ascended Harada IS what Divinity and his cosmonauts found (timeline is all wrong, of course), but maybe some other ascended being?
Interesting theory.
- An ascended Harada (presumably with some control over space/time) creates Divinity.
- Divinity is then there to be a foil for Harada and his Imperium designs while Peter is off the chessboard.
- The timeline plays out to the point with Divinity being a major influence in the world and where Harada ascends as seen in BoD: TFoH.

Did Harada create his own checkmate to keep him from going overboard and ultimately create the future where he would ascend?
Dude, that is mindblowing! I like it! :hm:
***Support your local farmers!***

Donovan
...formerly The Beyonder
...formerly The Beyonder
Valiant fan since: Unity. The first time.
Favorite character: Rai
Favorite title: VEI Quantum & Woody
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Romulo Fajardo

Post by Donovan »

Best VEI book.

Ever.

Masterful storytelling.