Do you think Archer could channel Divinity's powers?

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

Thegreatmagnet
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2012
Favorite character: Ninjak
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp
Do you think Archer could channel Divinity's powers?

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

It seems that he can tap into the expertise of anyone in the human population, assuming Abram is still human.

Also, granted that Archer's not been tapping into many special powers recently...

Shadowman99
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Favorite title: XO Manowar
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Re: Do you think Archer could channel Divinity's powers?

Post by Shadowman99 »

Thegreatmagnet wrote:It seems that he can tap into the expertise of anyone in the human population, assuming Abram is still human.

Also, granted that Archer's not been tapping into many special powers recently...
It's true, we all know what Archer's been tapping lately :lol:
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Keith
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Timewalker
Favorite title: FVLs Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: FVL

Post by Keith »

Shadowman99 wrote:
Thegreatmagnet wrote:It seems that he can tap into the expertise of anyone in the human population, assuming Abram is still human.

It's true, we all know what Archer's been tapping lately :lol:
Heyooooooooohhhhhh!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So my thoughts on the OP question... No. IMO, Archer can mimic any human skill, including psiot abilities. Divinity is so unnatural, so Beyond, that Archer wouldn't be able to do what he does. He might be able to mimic some applicable skills, but not to the degree and ability that Divinity can.

I think the question had already been posed "Could Archer mimic Toyo Harada or Pete Stanchek." The answer there is Yes. The follow up question is then "would he be able to handle it?" And I'd say the answer is No.
Good Morning, that's a nice tnetennba.
The thing about Arsenal is they always try to walk it in...

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

I believe Archer can only download Psiot powers that have been mapped by PRS for their HARD Corps program. He's not a mimic. He downloads abilities from the akashic record, which is the sum of all human knowledge. If powers are not understood as a specific brain area/patters/etc, then he can't access that because its unknown to human knowledge.

Watchtower
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart

Post by Watchtower »

BugsySig wrote:I believe Archer can only download Psiot powers that have been mapped by PRS for their HARD Corps program. He's not a mimic. He downloads abilities from the akashic record, which is the sum of all human knowledge. If powers are not understood as a specific brain area/patters/etc, then he can't access that because its unknown to human knowledge.
Let's make it easier: The Akashic Records are the sum of subconscious human knowledge. It would make sense, then, that it wouldn't have access to anything inhuman.

Which means Archer wouldn't be able to access, say, the Vine collective, for example.

(Not that he'd want to, anyway. He seems perfectly fine sticking to martial arts.)

Psiot X
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Valiant fan since: 2014
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart
Favorite artist: Rafa Sandoval

Post by Psiot X »

It just occurred to me to wonder if the fact that a Black Russian is the most powerful force in the valiant universe is an intentional double entendre. You know - Black Russian?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Russian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thegreatmagnet
Favorite title: Archer & Armstrong
Favorite writer: Matt Kindt
Favorite artist: Juan Jose Ryp

Post by Thegreatmagnet »

Watchtower wrote:
BugsySig wrote:I believe Archer can only download Psiot powers that have been mapped by PRS for their HARD Corps program. He's not a mimic. He downloads abilities from the akashic record, which is the sum of all human knowledge. If powers are not understood as a specific brain area/patters/etc, then he can't access that because its unknown to human knowledge.
Let's make it easier: The Akashic Records are the sum of subconscious human knowledge. It would make sense, then, that it wouldn't have access to anything inhuman.

Which means Archer wouldn't be able to access, say, the Vine collective, for example.

(Not that he'd want to, anyway. He seems perfectly fine sticking to martial arts.)
Agreed. I think the pertinent questions are, what exactly is the nature of Abram's power set, and is he no longer sufficiently human to be connected to the Akashic record?

slack
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Get those scissors away from my coupons
Valiant fan since: pre-Unity 90's
Favorite character: Toyo Harada
Favorite title: Harbinger (Dysart)
Favorite writer: tough choice
Favorite artist: ?

Post by slack »

What about magic? Most magic use is based on knowledge of magic and how it works.... Maybe he could use the powers of the shadow seven... Or Darque.

Considering his upbringing, he'd probably have developed an unconscious block on magic... Considering it to be the devil's playground.

Someday, he might access that part of human knowledge.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

This thread is cool :thumb:

Keith

Post by Keith »

Spot on, Bugsy. My theory completely ignored the concept of the Akashic Record. I'm going with your answer.

jmatt
Mmm, I was drooling over Cooshie tonight.

Post by jmatt »

That's a tad too specific but I get your point. Though, if it's the sum of all human knowledge wouldn't that also include the knowledge of the individuals who possess said powers themselves?

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

jmatt wrote:
That's a tad too specific but I get your point. Though, if it's the sum of all human knowledge wouldn't that also include the knowledge of the individuals who possess said powers themselves?
I'd say so, makes sense to me.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:
But do psiots even know how their powers work? Like in terms of brain functions/biology?

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:
But do psiots even know how their powers work? Like in terms of brain functions/biology?
Do they need to? Archer can fight like a kung fu master. Does a kung fu master understand what he does in terms of brain function/biology? Or does he just know how to do it after years of practice?

The akashic record is the sum of all human knowledge, not all human science.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:
Do they need to? Archer can fight like a kung fu master. Does a kung fu master understand what he does in terms of brain function/biology? Or does he just know how to do it after years of practice?

Agreed.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

True, but one can look up/study kung fu over decades. Archer's psiot powers just give him the ability to download all that knowledge at once. My only argument is that something needs to be understood for it to be part of "human knowledge."

Think of it as a two-part system...I doubt Torque knows how his brain creates a psionic hard-shell projection around his body (though he may learn how to use it over time). But PRS has determined how that ability is created in the brain, therefore allowing Archer to download that information and recreate that ability in his own brain. PRS's psiot mapping allows archer to have the power, Torque's (or whomever's) experience with it allows Archer to use it competently.

It's one thing to learn to drive a car, it's another thing to become a car (or, in this case, build one :D ).

jmatt

Post by jmatt »

BugsySig wrote:Think of it as a two-part system...I doubt Torque knows how his brain creates a psionic hard-shell projection around his body (though he may learn how to use it over time). But PRS has determined how that ability is created in the brain, therefore allowing Archer to download that information and recreate that ability in his own brain. PRS's psiot mapping allows archer to have the power, Torque's (or whomever's) experience with it allows Archer to use it competently.
I guess my question is why you keep focusing on PRS. Archer can access many abilities that having nothing to do with them.

This is like the Bang Bang Theory girls arguing about the ability to pick up Thor's Hammer. :P

Keith

Post by Keith »

jmatt wrote:
BugsySig wrote:Think of it as a two-part system...I doubt Torque knows how his brain creates a psionic hard-shell projection around his body (though he may learn how to use it over time). But PRS has determined how that ability is created in the brain, therefore allowing Archer to download that information and recreate that ability in his own brain. PRS's psiot mapping allows archer to have the power, Torque's (or whomever's) experience with it allows Archer to use it competently.
I guess my question is why you keep focusing on PRS. Archer can access many abilities that having nothing to do with them.

This is like the Bang Bang Theory girls arguing about the ability to pick up Thor's Hammer. :P
Just less sexy. :lol:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

jmatt wrote:

I'm referring only to psiot abilities. That requires a change in brain function/structure beyond something like lock picking or a martial art. That's how I reconcile how psiot abilities are available in the Akashic record.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I'm referring only to psiot abilities. That requires a change in brain function/structure beyond something like lock picking or a martial art. That's how I reconcile how psiot abilities are available in the Akashic record.
I dunno, does it though? That's really super nitty-gritty, and typically far beyond any level explanation that's going to be provided in a comic usually. As far as I know that's not really been specifically stated, so I think it's just your theory isn't it? :?

I agree with Jmatt, my impression is that Archer's abilities have far surpassed anything that PRS must have initially thought they were loading him up with. I think his ability to access the Akashic Record is basically so far removed from his PRS-given abilities that it's to all intents and purposes completely seperate. Just my take on it :?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

I dunno, does it though? That's really super nitty-gritty, and typically far beyond any level explanation that's going to be provided in a comic usually. As far as I know that's not really been specifically stated, so I think it's just your theory isn't it? :?

I agree with Jmatt, my impression is that Archer's abilities have far surpassed anything that PRS must have initially thought they were loading him up with. I think his ability to access the Akashic Record is basically so far removed from his PRS-given abilities that it's to all intents and purposes completely seperate. Just my take on it :?
Yes, just my theory, though we discussed it in depth back when A&A: Archer #0 came out.

PRS activated his psiot ability to access the Akashic record. So they are one in the same as far as I can tell. He just lost the ability to access psiot powers when his memory was wiped.

nonplayer
Valiant fan since: back in the day xo#9
Favorite character: Momo, xo turok
Favorite title: Wrath of the eternal warrior
Favorite writer: Joshua dysart
Favorite artist: Robert Gill

Post by nonplayer »

Short answer "No"
It's not a phsiot power it's a alien flower pollen or some squee.
I Miss the good old days.

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

nonplayer wrote:Short answer "No"
It's not a phsiot power it's a alien flower pollen or some squee.
:funnypost:

Shadowman99

Post by Shadowman99 »

BugsySig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Yes, just my theory, though we discussed it in depth back when A&A: Archer #0 came out.

PRS activated his psiot ability to access the Akashic record. So they are one in the same as far as I can tell. He just lost the ability to access psiot powers when his memory was wiped.
Well, your memory is clearly better than mine on this one :lol:

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

Shadowman99 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
Shadowman99 wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
jmatt wrote:

Well, your memory is clearly better than mine on this one :lol:
Naw. I just downloaded it from the Akashic record. :D