Tampa Convention Valiant Report

Discuss the VALIANT comics, characters, and collecting.
PLEASE DO NOT REVEAL SPOILER INFORMATION IN YOUR TOPIC TITLE.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham
Tampa Convention Valiant Report

Post by 400yrs »

Not too too much was there Valiant-wise. Lots of commons, some pre-unities, and Acclaims. Here are some of the responses I got when I asked if they had any Valiants:

"Man, you're the fifth person to ask me that today." :o

"I didn't bring them, but they are becoming popular again."

When I asked the dealers who did have them in their boxes if they were selling well, several responded with the following:

"Yeah, the dealers bought them from me like crazy!" :o Uh-oh

There was one guy with a few pre-unites, a Magnus #0, and several of the more common golds displayed on his rack for slightly ABOVE VC.com prices. They were still there when I left.

Writer/artist-wise there was only one guy there who worked on one book so I didn't bother.
ASM Crossover Home

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss
Valiant fan since: 1993

Post by dino »

Interesting but it doesn't bode well. Dealers realize there is demand (likely only from us) so they are snapping up the books BUT the one guy with books slightly above vc.com prices didnt sell. I wonder how big the consumer market really is for new valiant books. There have been a decent number of new members since the newsarama articles but we (the core fans) should really get the word out there. :thumb:

Unblessed
I must be flogged.
I must be flogged.

Post by Unblessed »

dino wrote: There have been a decent number of new members since the newsarama articles but we (the core fans) should really get the word out there. :thumb:
Goodbye bargain finds from the $0.25 bins. :!:

~The Unblessed Soul

betterthanezra
Wanna see an unpublished Shadowman page?
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

Cons like San Deigo will be very interesting this year if these trends continue.

Maybe the meeting room I'm reserving for VC.com members will have non members show up :thumb: Should be good PR for us.

-Brian

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

Unblessed wrote:
dino wrote: There have been a decent number of new members since the newsarama articles but we (the core fans) should really get the word out there. :thumb:
Goodbye bargain finds from the $0.25 bins. :!:

~The Unblessed Soul
And hello to a long box for $20. :wink:

Others, in addition to the guy with the Valiants on the racks did have pre-unities marked at guide, but selling them half off. I picked up a Solar #1 for $5 just because it was a VERY nice copy.

LOTS of good looking ladies there too. :o I guess maybe comics are becoming cool again. :thumb:
ASM Crossover Home

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

Were the half off guide valiants selling?

betterthanezra
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite writer: Josh Dysart

Post by betterthanezra »

400yrs wrote:
LOTS of good looking ladies there too. :o I guess maybe comics are becoming cool again. :thumb:
:thumb: Better start combing my hair and brushing my teeth again :D

-Brian

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

dino wrote:Were the half off guide valiants selling?
I got the impression that they were not from the guy I bought the Solar 1 from. Tampa's always a step behind anyways though.
Last edited by 400yrs on Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:01:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASM Crossover Home

dino
Nerd Boss
Nerd Boss

Post by dino »

400yrs wrote:
I got the impression that they were not from the guy I bough the Solar 1 from. Tampa's always a step behing anyways though.
:( thanks for the report :thumb:

400yrs

Post by 400yrs »

dino wrote:
400yrs wrote:
I got the impression that they were not from the guy I bough the Solar 1 from. Tampa's always a step behing anyways though.
:( thanks for the report :thumb:
I should also add that the 2 guys that had the Valiants marked up were collectors who were selling their stuff, not dealers. There was just one dealer with good Valiants. I think the dealers may have started hoarding again.

For once, I didn't get the weirdo looks after asking for Valiants. At each table, someone either had something positive to say about them or talked about the sale of the rights. So the news seems to be slowly making its way around.
ASM Crossover Home

Brother J
Just trying to be self-deprecating

Post by Brother J »

Here's my story, there's a local show that happens every other month. Last time I was there, I spoke to a dealer who claimed he had some tough Valiants and also some Ultraverse hologram books which he would bring especially for me to buy. Another guy also claimed he was going to show up with a large box of variants including a bunch of Valiants. Well, I show up today and I could tell the show was going to suck right away. It's usually a small show and it was even smaller this time with half the tables not even being used!

The first guy who was going to bring Valiants and Ultraverse holos DID bring a few items, but he also brought something else annoying with him, high prices! I saw the high prices on the books, but pulled them anyway. I think I had a Magnus #21 gold, a Chaos Effect Omega Gold, an Exiles silver hologram, and a set of Unity #1 gold and platinum. I asked how much he wanted for these and he said $50. After I quickly turned him down, he immediately said $40. He had the Magnus #21 and CEOG both marked at $20, so I asked him what he would go for just the Chaos Effect Omega Gold, to which he said $10. That was the ONLY book I ended up buying from him and he ended up taking the other books home with him.

The second guy with the box of variants didn't show up, so it was pretty much a bust.

I didn't even have much energy to go bargain box hunting. I got a few decent items from my usual source, but really not enough to have made the trip worthwhile. With the price of gas what it is, I think I might pass on this show when it next happens in June.

1A
100 posts! (if you round to the nearest 100)

Post by 1A »

Brother J wrote:I didn't even have much energy to go bargain box hunting. I got a few decent items from my usual source, but really not enough to have made the trip worthwhile. With the price of gas what it is, I think I might pass on this show when it next happens in June.
Yeah that show was a dissapointment for sure. I did manage to get some later XO's that I needed from Alan, but like you when I walked in to that room and all it was, for the most part, was Marvel and DC....well I didn't even bother going through anyone else's stuff. :x

ZephyrWasHOT!!
Chief of the Dia Tribe
Chief of the Dia Tribe

Post by ZephyrWasHOT!! »

Brother J wrote:Here's my story, there's a local show that happens every other month. Last time I was there, I spoke to a dealer who claimed he had some tough Valiants and also some Ultraverse hologram books which he would bring especially for me to buy. Another guy also claimed he was going to show up with a large box of variants including a bunch of Valiants. Well, I show up today and I could tell the show was going to suck right away. It's usually a small show and it was even smaller this time with half the tables not even being used!

The first guy who was going to bring Valiants and Ultraverse holos DID bring a few items, but he also brought something else annoying with him, high prices! I saw the high prices on the books, but pulled them anyway. I think I had a Magnus #21 gold, a Chaos Effect Omega Gold, an Exiles silver hologram, and a set of Unity #1 gold and platinum. I asked how much he wanted for these and he said $50. After I quickly turned him down, he immediately said $40. He had the Magnus #21 and CEOG both marked at $20, so I asked him what he would go for just the Chaos Effect Omega Gold, to which he said $10. That was the ONLY book I ended up buying from him and he ended up taking the other books home with him.

The second guy with the box of variants didn't show up, so it was pretty much a bust.

I didn't even have much energy to go bargain box hunting. I got a few decent items from my usual source, but really not enough to have made the trip worthwhile. With the price of gas what it is, I think I might pass on this show when it next happens in June.
Ya know, I have a similar story happen to me at WWLA last month.

So, Jay Company, a couple of REALLY nice guys, show up at the Shrine every month...well, every other month now...and they have some Maxx books the last coupla times.

Bill says 'Hey, I have a lot more of these, I'll bring them to WWLA'.

Now, these were the last 15 issues, so of course, I was interested. After all, I'd bought the blacks from them, as well as nearly every single Maxx book they brought up to that point.

I usually drop about $300-$500 with them each time at the Shrine, and I dropped $1200 with them at WWLA. Now...I dunno how that rates as far as their customers go, but ya know, that's some serious coin for the average comic collector.

Anyways...so for several Shrines worth, Bill says 'Dude, I'll bring the Maxx's to WWLA'...and I was like 'Ok, boss, just don't forget those Maxx's!'

So...I get there, and find out that some dealers had already been through the books they had....and this was Thursday night (con didn't open til Friday at 2PM)...and the Maxx's....the Maxx's I'd bugged them to bring, that was the ONLY thing I requested....they'd sold to someone else.

Now....granted, they were very very very busy....and didn't have much time for me....and I KNOW I'm not their only customer....

...but if what I'd consider a good customer specifically asked for just ONE thing....

I think it'd be a good idea to hold that one thing for that good customer.

Anyways, I guess this is still bothering me, since I'm talking about it, and it's a month later. ;) Suffice it to say: I went to WWLA for one reason, and one reason only: to get a nice set of later issue Maxx's for a good price.

That was it.

So....missing out on them...when a little care would have avoided that...really bummed me out.

That I spent nearly $2K and got some good deals is irrelevant, really...the ONLY reason I went was for those Maxx's...had I known they were going to be sold before I got there, I wouldn't have gone.

Ah well. ;)

So...listen, you retailers out there...if you have a good customer, someone who drops several hundred or more on you on a regular basis...come on, do 'em a favor, if it's not too difficult.

:)

KO2003
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.
Is it Dee-no or Die-no? Dunno.

Post by KO2003 »

ZephyrWasHOT!! wrote:
Brother J wrote:Here's my story, there's a local show that happens every other month. Last time I was there, I spoke to a dealer who claimed he had some tough Valiants and also some Ultraverse hologram books which he would bring especially for me to buy. Another guy also claimed he was going to show up with a large box of variants including a bunch of Valiants. Well, I show up today and I could tell the show was going to suck right away. It's usually a small show and it was even smaller this time with half the tables not even being used!

Ya know, I have a similar story happen to me at WWLA last month.

So, Jay Company, a couple of REALLY nice guys, show up at the Shrine every month...well, every other month now...and they have some Maxx books the last coupla times.

Bill says 'Hey, I have a lot more of these, I'll bring them to WWLA'.

Now, these were the last 15 issues, so of course, I was interested. After all, I'd bought the blacks from them, as well as nearly every single Maxx book they brought up to that point.

I usually drop about $300-$500 with them each time at the Shrine, and I dropped $1200 with them at WWLA. Now...I dunno how that rates as far as their customers go, but ya know, that's some serious coin for the average comic collector.

Anyways...so for several Shrines worth, Bill says 'Dude, I'll bring the Maxx's to WWLA'...and I was like 'Ok, boss, just don't forget those Maxx's!'

So...I get there, and find out that some dealers had already been through the books they had....and this was Thursday night (con didn't open til Friday at 2PM)...and the Maxx's....the Maxx's I'd bugged them to bring, that was the ONLY thing I requested....they'd sold to someone else.

Now....granted, they were very very very busy....and didn't have much time for me....and I KNOW I'm not their only customer....

...but if what I'd consider a good customer specifically asked for just ONE thing....

I think it'd be a good idea to hold that one thing for that good customer.

Anyways, I guess this is still bothering me, since I'm talking about it, and it's a month later. ;) Suffice it to say: I went to WWLA for one reason, and one reason only: to get a nice set of later issue Maxx's for a good price.

That was it.

So....missing out on them...when a little care would have avoided that...really bummed me out.

That I spent nearly $2K and got some good deals is irrelevant, really...the ONLY reason I went was for those Maxx's...had I known they were going to be sold before I got there, I wouldn't have gone.

Ah well. ;)

So...listen, you retailers out there...if you have a good customer, someone who drops several hundred or more on you on a regular basis...come on, do 'em a favor, if it's not too difficult.

:)

Jay Company for Maxx issues? You don't need no stinking Jay company :lol:

While I can't score a #35, up to #34 should be doable. I will pm you this afternoon.

COMICKINGS
Account inactive by user's request

Post by COMICKINGS »

You should've laid it on 'em! Busy or not...ANYBODY that spends big money from me would've gotten an apology,and I would've done something to ease the pain of the customer.I used to buy alot from them when they were Jimmy Jay back in the day,and I did spend a good amount of money with'em.But in the end,when they used to come to the East Coast and set up here at the big shows...I was treated just like the guy that spent $3 on a Darkchylde variant cover.So,that was it for me with them.I doubt they even brought those MAXX books to the show.You might have made it really obvious you wanted the books bad,and they probably know you are pretty educated on books,so if they had no idea the books were hot,they could've done a check on Ebay and got the shock of what they were really going for. Joey

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

The Boston show was dead yesterday, and I only had a discussion with one gentleman about Valiant, despite having two long boxes of commons and one long box of pre-unity and variants, my CGCs displayed and a big "ASK ME ABOUT VALIANT" sign.

I'd rather be in Tampa. :-)

whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
"Don't qoute me on that" -whetteon
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Magnus

Post by whetteon »

If I dropped big dollars on a store and specifically asked for something to be present at the next show and they said it will be; damn right I'd be *SQUEE*. Obviously they don't value you as a customer ZWH. I'd start shopping somewhere else.
The Site for Tracking Collectible Comic Trends on Ebay
http://www.lyriacomicexchange.com/

loyloyola
Working on the first full appearance of me
Working on the first full appearance of me

Post by loyloyola »

I was there at the Tampa show myself. I did see 4 artworks from Special Weapons and the guy who had them used to work for DC and he wanted $60 each. Didn't have the cash, though as I was basically scouting this show...new in town and such.....

He was right there in front of the guys signing. I got a Van Sciver GL #1 signed and a couple of Star Wars from another guy...ummm..forgot his name....They even had a costume contest which was pretty cool. Soembody was selling a "Saving Star Wars"dvd ---kinda like Saving private Ryan morphed with Star Wars...and they were all dressed like Strom Troopers and Galactic Imperial Troops...or something to that effect. It's good to see enthusiasm in your hobby, I tell ya.

If anybody wants the guy's email selling Valiant artwork, I can send it to you.

Brother J

Post by Brother J »

1A wrote:
Brother J wrote:I didn't even have much energy to go bargain box hunting. I got a few decent items from my usual source, but really not enough to have made the trip worthwhile. With the price of gas what it is, I think I might pass on this show when it next happens in June.
Yeah that show was a dissapointment for sure. I did manage to get some later XO's that I needed from Alan, but like you when I walked in to that room and all it was, for the most part, was Marvel and DC....well I didn't even bother going through anyone else's stuff. :x
Actually, in this case, I think we went to different shows. I'm assuming you went to Alan's Madison show Saturday. I actually skipped that one and went to the show Alan does in Gurnee, IL on Sunday. He even gave me the third degree "why didn't you come to the Madison show?" and even though I might have *SQUEE* him off, I was honest and said "because that show is too small to make it worth my while to drive in from Milwaukee". As crappy as the Gurnee show was, I might skip that one next time, too. If I decide to go to the Madison show again, I'll have to wear my Valiant hat or something so you will know a fellow Valiant fan is in the room! :thumb:

gowaltrip
Account inactive by user's request

Post by gowaltrip »

Knightt_333 wrote: It's over... FOR THE LOVE OF GOD... IT'S OVER !!!

Not really folks... there are plenty of Valiant books stashed away in $.25 bins. Many stores will have a single copy in their 'boxes' for cover or over but then will have a few stashed in the cheap bins as I would hazard to say that 80% of comic book shops that have large amounts of books do NOT know just what the hell that they have in their stock. Cool by me... I feel like a homeless bum weeding through the trash for a half chewed hamburger but I gets what I's wants.
Yeah, when you have a store that does not keep on top of their stock and update prices regularly, you still have a shot at a few good ones.

But by and by, I have noticed in the last 6-9months, the trend has really been that most LCS's are catching on to Valiants again.

A year ago, I could rummage through almost any LCS and find bargains galor on Valiants. Today with much rummaging through the trash of the unupdating store I find one here and there. But it has become much harder to find a steal.

Example, a store I was finding good Valiants, pre-Unities ect for $2-$3 each just 6 months ago, now doesnt have a single Valiant (common crap or not) under $3 each and the good stuff has at least doubled and in some cases went up 3x-4x in the last 6 months.

Unless its absolute commons, the good stuff cheap is getting hard to find.

It may not be over yet, but its getting darn close. :(

SolarFan777
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Harbinger 4 release
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar

Post by SolarFan777 »

ckb wrote:The Boston show was dead yesterday, and I only had a discussion with one gentleman about Valiant, despite having two long boxes of commons and one long box of pre-unity and variants, my CGCs displayed and a big "ASK ME ABOUT VALIANT" sign.

I'd rather be in Tampa. :-)
Sorry to hear that ckb. I know it sucks to prepare for something like that and come away empty.

As far as price increase, I have not seen much change at LCS in my area. Most of the stores are selling at coverprice anyway but no one has jacked up key issues or anything.
It's Solar... Don't call him Dr. Phil!

1A

Post by 1A »

Brother J wrote:I'm assuming you went to Alan's Madison show Saturday. I actually skipped that one and went to the show Alan does in Gurnee, IL on Sunday.
Oh that kind of makes me feel better, because when you mentioned the guy with some golds...well I was :!: as I probably would have bought them. So I'm glad that I didn't miss out!!! I'm realizing that these shows will be once a year things for me.....not that much 'changes' in the couple of months between them!! Plus alan's shtick gets old. He asked my wife again if she 'brought me along to carry all her comics.'

tcolli
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man

Post by tcolli »

Does anyone ever go to Wizard World Chicago? I went the last couple years and it usually huge. I will be curious to see the Valiant prices this year at a big convention like that.

ckb

Post by ckb »

I will be set up there. At $800 to get in the door, wish me luck. I hope to sell a lot of Golden Age.

I will have a LOT of Valiant as well.
tcolli wrote:Does anyone ever go to Wizard World Chicago? I went the last couple years and it usually huge. I will be curious to see the Valiant prices this year at a big convention like that.

tcolli

Post by tcolli »

I will be set up there. At $800 to get in the door, wish me luck. I hope to sell a lot of Golden Age.

I will have a LOT of Valiant as well.
Sometime if you know where you will be setup, let me know and I will stop by. I am interested in some Golden and Silver age Batman/Detective. Also, what is your store name?