Project Superpowers 2018

Everything else comic-related that's not VALIANT-related.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

ironherc
My posts can all fit in a short box
Valiant fan since: 2013
Favorite character: X-O Manowar
Favorite title: X-O Manowar
Favorite writer: Robert Venditti
Favorite artist: Clayton Crain
Project Superpowers 2018

Post by ironherc »

So this series is finally coming back. Never read it but it's on my list. Anyone is excited or interested?
they are starting with a #0 costing only 10 cents. Dynamite has been doing this kind of deals for new series lately. They should keep that up

hawkboy71
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Ninjak and Ninjil went up a hill
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Magnus
Favorite title: Magnus Robot Fighter
Favorite writer: Jim Shooter
Favorite artist: Bart Sears
Re: Project Superpowers 2018

Post by hawkboy71 »

I'm a fan of any of the Golden Age characters that Dynamite has tackled. I'd love to read this...

-Gregg

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

i always like reading about obscure superhero so giving 10 cents won't harm me

BugsySig
I could be talking poo-doo.
Valiant fan since: 1992
Favorite character: Ivar, Timewalker
Favorite title: Harbinger/Timewalker
Favorite writer: Joshua Dysart/FVL
Favorite artist: Joe Quesada

Post by BugsySig »

The original series (2 volumes) was pretty good, if a bit overloaded with characters. I wasn't so crazy about the solo titles for Black Terror and Masquerade, though Death Defyin' Dragon was interesting. Haven't read any of the follow-ups that were unrelated to the original (Black Cross, Hero-Killers, Owl), but may check this one out as it's an actual continuation of the 2010/11 series.

Overall I think Dynamite really dropped the ball on P:SP the 1st time around (like they do with most series), so hopefully they will follow through this time.
Kurt Busiek wrote:Bull$#!t

Chiclo
I'm Chiclo. My strong Dongs paid off well.
I'm Chiclo.  My strong Dongs paid off well.
Favorite character: Kris

Post by Chiclo »

I enjoyed the original Project Superpowers quite a bit and I will get this series but I would not say I am excited about it.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

BugsySig wrote:The original series (2 volumes) was pretty good, if a bit overloaded with characters. I wasn't so crazy about the solo titles for Black Terror and Masquerade, though Death Defyin' Dragon was interesting. Haven't read any of the follow-ups that were unrelated to the original (Black Cross, Hero-Killers, Owl), but may check this one out as it's an actual continuation of the 2010/11 series.

Overall I think Dynamite (sucks!) really dropped the ball on P:SP the 1st time around (like they do with most series), so hopefully they will follow through this time.

You mean they dropped the ball by just discontinuing it out nowhere or what did they do? I'm curious since i really want to jump in into this books (golden age daredevil has one of the coolest designs I've seen ever and his Savage Dragon version is cool too).

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ironherc wrote:
BugsySig wrote:The original series (2 volumes) was pretty good, if a bit overloaded with characters. I wasn't so crazy about the solo titles for Black Terror and Masquerade, though Death Defyin' Dragon was interesting. Haven't read any of the follow-ups that were unrelated to the original (Black Cross, Hero-Killers, Owl), but may check this one out as it's an actual continuation of the 2010/11 series.

Overall I think Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) really dropped the ball on P:SP the 1st time around (like they do with most series), so hopefully they will follow through this time.

You mean they dropped the ball by just discontinuing it out nowhere or what did they do? I'm curious since i really want to jump in into this books (golden age daredevil has one of the coolest designs I've seen ever and his Savage Dragon version is cool too).
They just stopped publishing them. Then a few years later they’d do something with the characters, but in a different continuity.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

BugsySig wrote:
ironherc wrote:

Overall I think Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) really dropped the ball on P:SP the 1st time around (like they do with most series), so hopefully they will follow through this time.

They just stopped publishing them. Then a few years later they’d do something with the characters, but in a different continuity.
I noticed they do that a lot. With the golden key characters, kirby genesis and others. They never stay consistent in what they want to run.

you mean that warren ellis mini and the one with the sidekicks?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ironherc wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ironherc wrote:

Overall I think Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) really dropped the ball on P:SP the 1st time around (like they do with most series), so hopefully they will follow through this time.

I noticed they do that a lot. With the golden key characters, kirby genesis and others. They never stay consistent in what they want to run.

Yeah, those two are not in continuity with the Alex Ross, etc volumes.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

BugsySig wrote:
ironherc wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ironherc wrote:

Overall I think Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) really dropped the ball on P:SP the 1st time around (like they do with most series), so hopefully they will follow through this time.

neither is Masks? i saw a few of those characters there too

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ironherc wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ironherc wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
ironherc wrote:

Overall I think Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) really dropped the ball on P:SP the 1st time around (like they do with most series), so hopefully they will follow through this time.

neither is Masks? i saw a few of those characters there too
Nope. Just Project Superpowers Vol 1 and Vol 2, PS: Black Terror, PS: Masquerade, PS: Death Defyin' Devil, PS: The Owl, and PS: Meet the Bad Guys. That's a pretty good amount of issues, but would have been nice to have at least main PS mini and a solo PS mini or 2 every year. The Owl is the only one from the past 6-7 years that is in continuity.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

^Which books do you recommend to read besides vol 1 and 2 that you think are worth it. do any of the minis matter in the long run?

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ironherc wrote:^Which books do you recommend to read besides vol 1 and 2 that you think are worth it. do any of the minis matter in the long run?
Black terror seemed like the best continuation of themes from the main series. I though DDD was pretty interesting, and may lead into this new series based on what I read about it. Masquerade was fine, but nothing special. I never read The Owl.

Overall, I suppose they’re all worth reading if you want the full experience of what they were doing with PSP.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

gonna give this series a shot then.
Which character so you guys consider the best.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

ironherc wrote:gonna give this series a shot then.
Which character so you guys consider the best.
Gotta admit their version of Black Terror is pretty awesome. Green Lama was cool too with his power set. And of course the GA Daredevil’s look is an all time great.

Was a little disappointed we didn’t see more of The Face. His “power set” was intriguing, but didn’t get much page time.

leonmallett
My mind is sharp. Like a sharp thing.
Valiant fan since: 2006
Favorite character: Shadowman (Hall version)
Favorite title: Shadowman (under Hall)
Favorite writer: Fred Van Lente
Favorite artist: Clayton Henry
Location: hunting down paulsmith56 somewhere in the balti belt...

Post by leonmallett »

ironherc wrote:^Which books do you recommend to read besides vol 1 and 2 that you think are worth it. do any of the minis matter in the long run?
I recommend all the tpbs which spun off chapter 1 and chapter 2: Black Terror, Death Defyin' Devil, Msquerade, Meet the Bad Guys and The Owl.
Last edited by leonmallett on Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:47:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VEI - I look forward to you one day publishing MORE than 9-10 books per month

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

leonmallett wrote:
I recommend all the tpbs which spun off chapter and chapter 2: Black Terror, Death Defyin' Devil, Msquerade, Meet the Bad Guys and The Owl.
Yeah. In all honesty its one of the best things Dynamite has done in terms of universe building. Kirby:Genesis itself was great, but 2 of the 3 spinoff series were trash (Captain Victory was well written, but lacking in the art department). Legendarry was a mess. Masks was solid...Masks 2 not so much.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
I recommend all the tpbs which spun off chapter and chapter 2: Black Terror, Death Defyin' Devil, Msquerade, Meet the Bad Guys and The Owl.
Yeah. In all honesty its one of the best things Dynamite (sucks!) has done in terms of universe building. Kirby:Genesis itself was great, but 2 of the 3 spinoff series were trash (Captain Victory was well written, but lacking in the art department). Legendarry was a mess. Masks was solid...Masks 2 not so much.

I wanted to like Kirby: Genesis, but it just never synced with me, despite being a Kurt Busiek fan in general.

I was looking forward to Blackcross, even though it was apparent it was a new take, but it was a series that I could not see a point to ultimately. On a conceptual basis, Supreme: Blue Rose, also by Ellis, which trod similar ground in some ways was a better structured read IMHO.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

leonmallett wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Yeah. In all honesty its one of the best things Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) has done in terms of universe building. Kirby:Genesis itself was great, but 2 of the 3 spinoff series were trash (Captain Victory was well written, but lacking in the art department). Legendarry was a mess. Masks was solid...Masks 2 not so much.

I wanted to like Kirby: Genesis, but it just never synced with me, despite being a Kurt Busiek fan in general.

I was looking forward to Blackcross, even though it was apparent it was a new take, but it was a series that I could not see a point to ultimately. On a conceptual basis, Supreme: Blue Rose, also by Ellis, which trod similar ground in some ways was a better structured read IMHO.
In terms of working together all the disparate characters, I thought Genesis did a great job. And the art was solid. Didn’t love how it ended or how they abandoned all the spinoffs and the universe in general. But, hey, that’s Dynamite.

ironherc

Post by ironherc »

BugsySig wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
BugsySig wrote:
leonmallett wrote:
Yeah. In all honesty its one of the best things Dynamite (sucks!) (sucks!) (sucks!) has done in terms of universe building. Kirby:Genesis itself was great, but 2 of the 3 spinoff series were trash (Captain Victory was well written, but lacking in the art department). Legendarry was a mess. Masks was solid...Masks 2 not so much.

In terms of working together all the disparate characters, I thought Genesis did a great job. And the art was solid. Didn’t love how it ended or how they abandoned all the spinoffs and the universe in general. But, hey, that’s Dynamite (sucks!).
This is why i dont trust dynamite since i notice nothing lasts there and rarely comes back.

BugsySig

Post by BugsySig »

New PSP omnibus comes out this week. Might be worth picking up.

https://www.newsarama.com/40859-full-fi ... eroes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote:New PSP omnibus comes out this week. Might be worth picking up.

https://www.newsarama.com/40859-full-fi ... eroes.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'll probably pick it up for the ease of reading the 1/2 issue, rather than having to dig it out of a stacked box when re-reading PSP.

BugsySig
Project Superpowers 2018

Post by BugsySig »

leonmallett wrote:

I'll probably pick it up for the ease of reading the 1/2 issue, rather than having to dig it out of a stacked box when re-reading PSP.
Yeah, I think it’s worth it to get all the issues. It’s listed in Amazon right now for $39.99.

Wonder if they’ll do a Volume 2 with the solo series and “Meet the Bad Guys”?

Makes sense with a new continuation of the original series coming out soon.

leonmallett

Post by leonmallett »

BugsySig wrote:
leonmallett wrote:

Yeah, I think it’s worth it to get all the issues. It’s listed in Amazon right now for $39.99.

Wonder if they’ll do a Volume 2 with the solo series and “Meet the Bad Guys”?

Makes sense with a new continuation of the original series coming out soon.
That would make sense, and a chance to collect another uncollected book - the X-Mas special.

I have the Chapter 1 and Chapter 2 hardcovers and it annoys me that the 1/2 issue was not collected in either.

Brother Darque
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by Brother Darque »

So i picked up the issue 0 and the first issue.

After reading them i took them off my pull list.

Pretty sure the guy who wrote it didn't read the previous project superpowers series.

The Green Lama is a wizard all of a sudden!