Mad as hell right now... (Final Update)

VALIANT-related items for sale, trade, or wanted.

Moderators: Daniel Jackson, greg

jcdenton
My posts can all fit in a short box
Mad as hell right now... (Final Update)

Post by jcdenton »

So a couple weeks ago I won my biggest eBay auction yet. I was still awake at ~3:00 AM and this guy had all his auctions ending at that time. With nobody bidding against me I ended up winning some huge FF and Hulk lots for about $150.

Anyway today the box arrived, and right away I could tell something was wrong. He bagged them in groups with these FedEx envelopes, and each issue was bagged and boarded, but there was NO PADDING. NONE. Not a single peanut, not even a shred of newspaper!! Not only that, but the box was not even full, so there was room for the contents to shift around and bang against the walls.

To no surprise, several "groups" had big dents in them, all in the same spot where they slammed against something. Entire runs were pretty much ruined. The worst was probably the Ultimate FF lot of 1-12; EVERY one was screwed up.

It's just completely baffling to me how something like this can happen. Even if he couldn't have spared 5 extra minutes to properly pack the comics, he could have at least taken 30 SECONDS to crumple up a few sheets of newspaper to take up the empty space. Just that ALONE would have probably reduced the damage significantly. 30 seconds!!! And this from a guy with the word "comics" in his user name. WTF!!!!

What also sucks is, even with a significant number damaged (maybe 20%) I still think it was a pretty good deal, so it wouldn't be worth shipping them all back (even if he did offer a refund). I emailed the seller about it but haven't heard back from him. I'll see what he says but if this guy doesn't make things right I'll definitely let you guys know his ID.

Update: Doesn't look like he's willing to resolve this, and as you can see in his quotes below the seller is a complete *SQUEE*, so here is his eBay ID: robert24comics
Last edited by jcdenton on Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:44:43 am, edited 5 times in total.

tcolli
Forget Col Sanders - I'm the Chicken Man

Post by tcolli »

It makes you wonder if these idiots get away with it often. How could they not think people would complain if it is poor packing and gets damaged. :!:
I do chicken right!

myron
I do embrace my inner geekdom
Valiant fan since: 1991
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

wait 89.99 days and neg his sorry a$$... :x
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton »

He asked for some pics so I sent him some. Here they are if anyone is interested.

myron
Favorite character: Gilad
Favorite title: Pre-Unity Harbinger

Post by myron »

:o The Hoar...the Hoar!!! make it stop! :(
Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?

tcolli

Post by tcolli »

Ouch, that really hurts. Those pics really argue your case, you should get some type of partial refund.
I do chicken right!

X-O HoboJoe
Bradley is not unsupervised anymore.
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

Send him back a well-packaged explosive. :x
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

Daniel Jackson
A toast to the return of Valiant!

Post by Daniel Jackson »

Man, that bites, the guy is obviously clueless. Hope he makes it right it with ya.

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton »

I sent him the pics and here's the *SQUEE*'s response:

"You are right they where damaged in the shipping process.The thing is you did not pay for insurance.There is nothing I can do for you.I am very sorry.I don't know what kind of a partial refund you asking for so let me know."

My reply:

"If the problem were a lost shipment, or damage due to mishandling by the delivery service, I would agree with you 100%. But let's be honest here--there was no padding in the box whatsoever. Anything, even a bit of crumpled newspaper, could have prevented or at least minimized the damage.

That's why I feel like even a partial refund, even if it's just something $20, would be more than fair considering the circumstances. I would also, if it's OK with you, like to return the Ultimate FF lot for a refund since that is the only lot where all issues were damaged. Please let me know."

400yrs
Am I Too Old to be Licking This?
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite title: Harbinger
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

Even if insurance is purchased, the seller still has the responsibility to pack the items well.
ASM Crossover Home

David_Cody
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
One of few who have a circa 1993 Valiant tattoo
Valiant fan since: VH1 X-O 14
Favorite character: Sting

Post by David_Cody »

I got one word, "doofus." You should let everyone know his eBay ID.

daydreamscomics
Rockin' out in Torquehalla
Rockin' out in Torquehalla

Post by daydreamscomics »

ouch...

i say you pee on the ones you return (if that happens) let them dry then rebag them.

he won't know whether he dribbled on himself or if he's going nuts

SolarFan777
Cruisin' in Darpan's Winnebago
Valiant fan since: Harbinger 4 release
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar

Post by SolarFan777 »

It really amazes me that people with nice books, well taken care of, can send them through the mail with such poor packing. :!:

I package everything I send like it was a CEAR. :thumb:
It's Solar... Don't call him Dr. Phil!

jcdenton

Post by jcdenton »

Man, this guy really is a *SQUEE*. Here is his response:

"You did not pay for insurance I can't help if it gets damaged in transport and I won't take back the Ultimate FF for a full refund.That's why insurance is so important.You ever see how Diamond sends there comics to shops no bags no boards,not tightly packed.They just throw them in a box.I will refund you $5.00 but that's it because of the weight of the box 40 pounds it was at the bottom of the container.The box was tightly packed,so that is my final offer.Sorry."

By the way, the bit about being 40 lbs and at the "bottom of the container" is complete B.S. The box is kind of elongated, similar to a short box, so there was only one layer of books. And of course, if being "40 lbs" and "at the bottom of the container" was a problem, why didn't he PACK THE BOOKS BETTER???

The part about being "tightly packed" is also B.S. The books were tightly packed--in TWO DIMENSIONS. In other words they did not have room to move left or right, but were free to slide UP AND DOWN, which is exactly how the damage occurred.

Any suggestions on how I should respond to this *SQUEE*?
Last edited by jcdenton on Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:54:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SolarFan777
Valiant fan since: Harbinger 4 release
Favorite character: Solar
Favorite title: Solar

Post by SolarFan777 »

david_albuq wrote:I got one word, "doofus." You should let everyone know his eBay ID.
After his response I second the motion... at least warn the rest of us about him. :|
It's Solar... Don't call him Dr. Phil!

BodaZoffa
Clinkin' bottles with Aram
Clinkin' bottles with Aram

Post by BodaZoffa »

Let him know you are a member of this forum (and maybe others). If he wants to do business this way, then he'll have to accept that people won't pay the prices he's looking for.

Boda

Daniel Jackson

Post by Daniel Jackson »

daydreamscomics wrote:ouch...

i say you pee on the ones you return (if that happens) let them dry then rebag them.

he won't know whether he dribbled on himself or if he's going nuts
Wow that's cold, but I like it.

X-O HoboJoe
Favorite character: Aric
Favorite title: Shadowman

Post by X-O HoboJoe »

jcdenton wrote:Man, this guy really is a *SKREE*. Here is his response:

"You did not pay for insurance I can't help if it gets damaged in transport and I won't take back the Ultimate FF for a full refund.That's why insurance is so important.You ever see how Diamond sends there comics to shops no bags no boards,not tightly packed.They just throw them in a box.I will refund you $5.00 but that's it because of the weight of the box 40 pounds it was at the bottom of the container.The box was tightly packed,so that is my final offer.Sorry."

By the way, the bit about being 40 lbs and at the "bottom of the container" is complete B.S. The box is kind of elongated, similar to a short box, so there was only one layer of books. And of course, if being "40 lbs" and "at the bottom of the container" was a problem, why didn't he PACK THE BOOKS BETTER???

The part about being "tightly packed" is also B.S. The books were tightly packed--in TWO DIMENSIONS. In other words they did not have room to move left or right, but were free to slide UP AND DOWN, which is exactly how the damage occurred.

Any suggestions on how I should respond to this *SKREE*?
Ask him if he would have packaged better had insurance been opted for, then remind him that insurance it to cover loss or damage due to the fault of the Post Office. They will not usually cover something where the shipper did a *SQUEE* poor job like here. You said you got a great deal on the books. Maybe he's *SQUEE* that he didn't pull a bidding war with lot;s of $ for him so he's taking it out on your comics. There are those out there that will pull *SQUEE* like that. Guess we need to add his name to the list. :x
I DO NOT EAT, DRINK OR ABSORB SOULS, DAMMIT!

400yrs
Valiant fan since: A&A #0
Favorite character: Shadowman
Favorite writer: Dysart
Favorite artist: Lapham

Post by 400yrs »

X-O HoboJoe wrote:
Ask him if he would have packaged better had insurance been opted for, then remind him that insurance it to cover loss or damage due to the fault of the Post Office. They will not usually cover something where the shipper did a *SQUEE* poor job like here.
:thumb:

We definitely need the *SQUEE* ebay ID.
ASM Crossover Home

ckb
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?
Psssst. Hey buddy, need another CGC fix?

Post by ckb »

Even if these were insured, there is no claim, cause they were not packed properly.

I can't resist: don't buy from anyone who does not have a (nearly unconditional) return policy. You'll find there aren't many people to buy from, but you will always be happy.

DawgPhan
My posts are simmered in four flavors

Post by DawgPhan »

If you paid with a credit card, and you should have, call them. They will be more than happy to take care of this...give them a call and them to freeze charges to either paypal or whatever you used to pay. Then send the books back to this guy with delivery confirmation and signature confirmation...he will have to sign for them...your credit card company will take of this..

If you didnt use a credit card you are f'd and let this be a lesson that you should always use a credit card....If you did a bank transfer you might be able to get the bank to stop the transfer, but you should probably go do it right now.

What is this guys ebay name? You did neg his *SQUEE* right?

DawgPhan

Post by DawgPhan »

ckb wrote:Even if these were insured, there is no claim, cause they were not packed properly.

I can't resist: don't buy from anyone who does not have a (nearly unconditional) return policy. You'll find there aren't many people to buy from, but you will always be happy.

yep would not be paying a claim on this package..

siren3-4
The best feeling I get is filling holes
The best feeling I get is filling holes

Post by siren3-4 »

jcdenton wrote:Man, this guy really is a *SKREE*. Here is his response:

Any suggestions on how I should respond to this *SKREE*?
File a claim through ebay. Go to the Site Map link at the top of the ebay site. Then click on the Item Not Received or Significantly Not as Described Process link. (it's in the middle under Buyer Tools. )

Follow the instructions there. I believe, with the pictures and the emails from the seller you have a good claim and a chance to get your money back. He has a responsibility to get the comics to you in the condition you bought them. (within reason)

You might lose but at least it's a shot and it is much better than getting $ 5.00 back. You also make the seller respond through ebay and it may make him change the way he ships his items in the future.

Also, you should post his ebay ID here, but say that this is only a representation of what happend to you in this auction and that you are not making any claims about the seller other than that.

Good luck !!

-Mike
siren3-4

speedracex
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance
H.A.R.D.E.R. Corps, with Extra Resistance

Post by speedracex »

this situation just $ucks, i mean even if you purchased insurance, and an insurance adjuster came to pick up the box, they would of found that it was the sellers fault, its sad he cant admit his own mistake

greg
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
The admin around here must be getting old and soft.
Valiant fan since: Rai #0
Favorite character: Depends on title
Favorite title: Depends on writer
Favorite writer: Depends on artist
Favorite artist: Depends on character

Post by greg »

speedracex wrote:...its sad he cant admit his own mistake
Rarely does someone look in the mirror and see the same moron the world does. :|

(Why do I get the feeling some of you will quote me on that one in your signatures?) :P